A fire that started in a RV’s kitchen went on to destroy the trailer as well as a vehicle at Penhold RV Park on Sunday night.
Penhold Fire Department said crews responded just before 6 p.m. after an initial report that people were trapped inside.
When firefighters arrived, the fire had spread throughout the RV and the unit’s owner said everyone was out.
“The owner stated he was cooking and the oil spilled and started a fire. The owner went on to say he put the fire out and left the trailer to talk to some people, and a few minutes later, when he looked back, the trailer had fire coming from the roof,” said fire Chief Jim Pendergast.
“It’s very important that even if you think a fire is out, call 911.
The fire department can come out and use special equipment, such as our thermal imaging and heat detectors, to find hidden fires or hot spots and make sure everything is OK.”
The electrical hook up and water hook up both melted. A propane tank exploded, and another tank had the valve open, helping to feed the fire, he said.
Damage is estimated at $65,000 for the trailer and $15,000 for the car.