Fire in CN Tower’s antenna mast put out

TORONTO — An electrical fire at Toronto’s landmark CN Tower was extinguished Wednesday morning after firefighters took turns climbing into an antenna mast to deal with smouldering wiring and insulation.

The fire broke out around 4 a.m. around an electric cable in the tower’s main antenna mast, Toronto Fire said. The section is about 480 metres above the ground — just above the tower’s Skypod observation deck.

Some 30 firefighters and seven fire trucks were at the scene.

Fortunately, they didn’t have to take the stairs.

“We took the elevator up,” Toronto Fire District Chief Stephan Powell said. “We had to go up to the Skypod level, took a second elevator to get there. And then we had to climb about (30 metres) up an access ladder to reach the affected conduit.”

Firefighters could only climb the ladder one at a time to get at the fire, Powell said. Other firefighters “staged” equipment at the base of the ladder so it could be hauled up and used easily.

Firefighters are used to working at heights, Powell said, but the tight space was a challenge to navigate.

“We were dealing with what appeared to be an electrical issue in a very confined space,” he said.

Traditional hoses weren’t used as spreading water on an electrical fire is quite dangerous, Powell explained. Instead, firefighters hauled up carbon dioxide and dry chemical extinguishers to deal with the fire.

In anticipation of the cramped space, Powell said firefighters also hooked up their respirator masks to tubes connected to an air supply, instead of carrying portable air cylinders.

The CN Tower shut off power to its antenna during the operation, he added, which affected some local TV and radio signals.

Fighting the fire wasn’t all that dissimilar to handling several underground hydro vault explosions in downtown Toronto over the past few months, Powell said.

“What we ended up doing here was — over a thousand feet up — pretty much the same thing,” he said.

The fire itself wasn’t a roaring blaze. Powell described it as “tar-like”, and said insulation on the electrical cable, as well as the wiring, was melting.

The electrical fire was put out just before 7:15 a.m., and Powell said it isn’t clear at this point what caused it.

The CN Tower announced on its official Twitter page Wednesday morning that it was open to the public as usual.

Neil Jones, chief operating officer for the tower, said the fire had posed no threat to public safety or the structure. He said all cleaning staff present at the time were cleared from the building and no injuries were reported.

The CN Tower, a concrete communications and observation tower in downtown Toronto, is more 550 metres high. It held the record for the world’s tallest free-standing structure until 2007.

Brennan Doherty , The Canadian Press

Just Posted

Red Deer’s Ten Thousand Villages to close in 2018

This will be the last Christmas for Red Deer’s Ten Thousand Villages.… Continue reading

Celestial light show can be seen over Red Deer this week

Local students stay up to watch the meteor shower

Businesses to gather to talk about crime

Red Deer Downtown Business Association understands challenges

Red Deer RCMP make numerous arrests in covert stolen vehicle operation

Eight people facing 34 charges after four-day police operation last week

Watch: Man plays flaming bagpipes while riding a unicycle in a ‘Star Wars’ costume

The sight of Darth Vader, riding a unicycle and playing flaming bagpipes,… Continue reading

Dying man’s wish to see new ‘Star Wars’ movie coming true

A dying man’s wish to see the new “Star Wars” movie is… Continue reading

Bountiful polygamist believed he couldn’t be prosecuted: lawyer

Winston Blackmore’s lawyer says Blackmore did not believe he could be prosecuted

Trudeaus, Mulroneys, Erdem? Canadians who could snag a royal wedding invite

Save the date. Kensington Palace announced Friday that Prince Harry and Meghan… Continue reading

More to be done to ensure timely justice, retiring Beverley McLachlin says

Canada’s retiring top judge says more must be done to ensure the… Continue reading

Labrador mayor who was shot in face in hunting accident has died

John Hickey accidently shot himself while checking rabbit snares

Shelter dogs could go vegan in Los Angeles

Los Angeles may soon be home to a lot more vegan dogs.… Continue reading

The coolest way to serve coffee at dinner’s end

I can put together a decent dinner party. But when it comes… Continue reading

Firefighter dies, thousands more take on California blaze

One of the thousands of firefighters battling a series of wildfires across… Continue reading

Most Read


Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $185 for 260 issues (must live in delivery area to qualify) Unlimited Digital Access 99 cents for the first four weeks and then only $15 per month Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $15 a month