A street near Bower Place mall was briefly blocked off as fire crew responded to a fire call Thursday evening.
Red Deer Emergency Services was called to a reported fire at an apartment building along Bennett Street, between Barrett Drive and Baker Avenue, around 4:15 p.m.
Upon arrival, firefighters a small kitchen fire in one of the building’s units. No injuries were reported at the scene. Firefighters were at the scene for about an hour.
“It sounds like it was caused from unattended cooking,” said Tyler Pelke, RDES deputy chief.
“Very fortunately the rest of the residents have been able to reoccupy the building.”
Damage is estimated at about $50,000.