Ford: ‘I’m ashamed, embarrassed and humiliated’; pledges clean living

Mayor Rob Ford ended two months of self-imposed exile Monday when he returned to City Hall from a stint in rehab to resume what mayoral duties he still has, apologizing for his past offensive behaviour, pleading for a second chance, and promising an “unwavering” commitment to living clean.

TORONTO — Mayor Rob Ford ended two months of self-imposed exile Monday when he returned to City Hall from a stint in rehab to resume what mayoral duties he still has, apologizing for his past offensive behaviour, pleading for a second chance, and promising an “unwavering” commitment to living clean.

In a 15-minute statement, Ford spoke passionately of his addictions and his belated realization that they were destroying him.

“For a long, long time, I resisted the idea of getting help,” Ford said. “I was in complete denial. I had become my own worst enemy.”

Ford heaped praise on the rehabilitation facility he entered two months ago for saving his life and forcing him to “confront his personal demons.”

He said he knows he will require treatment for the rest of his life but that getting help had changed him forever.

“I can proudly say I have begun the process of taking control of my life,” Ford said.

Ford’s role as mayor has been largely symbolic since November, when city council stripped him of most of his power following his admissions of alcohol abuse and drug use during “drunken stupors” that came after months of denials — along with offensive and profane comments he was recorded making.

The mayor apologized to those hurt by his words and actions, saying he regretted some of his past choices but said he blamed no one but himself for his misconduct.

Looking back, he said, “I’m ashamed, embarrassed and humiliated.”

The mayor also made it clear he would stay on as mayor and fight for re-election in October.

“I want to thank the people of Toronto for their understanding and continued support during this very difficult time,” Ford said. “I look forward to serving you for many, many more years.”

With less than four months left in his term, Ford is expected to devote most of his time to his re-election bid.

Ford, whose outrageous behaviour has earned him international notoriety, abruptly left for rehab May 1 after almost a year of insisting he didn’t have a substance abuse problem and would not take time out for treatment.

Saying he was “blind to the dangers” of some of the company he kept — he has been photographed with known drug dealers — Ford said those associations were now emphatically over.

Even before his announcement Monday, the mayor was under fire for restricting media access to his announcement — ostensibly for space reasons — and letting it be known through his brother and campaign manager, Coun. Doug Ford, that he would be taking no questions.

His departure in May came just hours after the Globe and Mail said a drug dealer had shown two of its reporters a video of Ford allegedly smoking what was said to be crack cocaine. Around the same time, the Toronto Sun published audio of Ford at a bar making anti-gay remarks, using an ethnic slur, and saying he would like to “jam” a rival female mayoral candidate.

Ford had publicly sworn off alcohol late last year, but was forced to admit he had been drinking in a videotaped incident in January in which he used Jamaican swear words. At the time, he called the incident a “minor setback.”

John Tory, one of Ford’s rival candidates for mayor, was unimpressed with the mayor’s speech Monday, saying Ford had “massively embarrassed” the city and should resign.

“His refusal to answer questions today is further indication that he doesn’t get it as yet,” Tory said.

“There are so many questions that are unanswered from the media, from the police and from the public and we need answers to those questions.”

Apart from lingering questions about his substance abuse, Ford is under continuing police investigation after a guns and gangs probe allegedly captured conversations about a video that kicked off the controversy surrounding the mayor.

Ford’s friend, Alesandro Lisi, has been charged with extortion related to attempts to retrieve the video — initially reported by the Toronto Star and U.S. website Gawker in May last year as appearing to show the mayor smoking crack cocaine. Lisi has been committed to trial next year.

Also, Democracy Watch has asked the city’s integrity commissioner to investigate media reports that both Ford brothers allegedly lobbied on behalf of two companies with ties to their family’s label business.

Ford’s stint at rehab in Bracebridge, Ont., came after he apparently tried without success to enter the United States for treatment. Days later, he told the Toronto Sun that rehab was “amazing” and said he was making calls to constituents.

He was also photographed with members of the community during excursions into Bracebridge.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Health Minister Tyler Shandro announced updated health measures Monday which are now in place for retail, hotels and community halls, performance groups, and youth sports as part of Step 2 of Alberta’s reopening plan. (File photo by Government of Alberta)
COVID restrictions for retail, sports and performers further eased

Occupancy in stores and malls boosted to 25 per cent from 15 per cent

The City of Red Deer sits at 249 active cases of the virus, after hitting a peak of 565 active cases on Feb. 22. (Black Press file image)
Active COVID cases in Red Deer continue to decline

249 cases in Red Deer, down from 565 peak on Feb. 22

(File photo)
Five Olds College students semi-finalists in marketing pitch competition

Winner of Second Annual UFA Student Pitch Competition to be announced April 13

Nordegg residents, including retired fisheries biologist Vance Buchwald, are concerned this kind of coal mining could start up in the wilderness area. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP/Mead Gruver, File).
Biologist urges Clearwater County to take a stand against Nordegg coal mining

Vance Buchwald said there’s no future in coal, the county should back eco-tourism

Quentin Lee Strawberry Photo from RCMP
Updated: Bleeding man came to door frantically calling for 911 help, neighbour testifies in murder trial

Quentin Strawberry on trial for second-degree murder accused of killing Joseph Gallant in 2019

Ben King scores for the Red Deer Rebels during the third period of a Western Hockey League game against the Calgary Hitmen at the Westerner Park Centrium Saturday. (Photo by Rob Wallator/Red Deer Rebels)
Rebels complete comeback to pick up first win of season

Rebels 3 Hitmen 2 (OT) The Red Deer Rebels were able to… Continue reading

A couple walks past a vandalized mural depicting world's first woman cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova in Madrid, Spain, Monday, March 8, 2021. At least two street murals celebrating accomplished women in politics, arts and science have appeared covered in black paint over the weekend. (AP Photo/Bernat Armangue)
Defying pandemic, feminists in Spain decry far-right attacks

Defying pandemic, feminists in Spain decry far-right attacks

Demonstrators march through downtown Minneapolis following protests near the Hennepin County Government Center, Monday, March 8, 2021, in Minneapolis where the trial for former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin began with jury selection. Chauvin is charged with murder in the death of George Floyd during an arrest last May in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Jim Mone)
Fiery chants for justice from marchers at Chauvin trial

Fiery chants for justice from marchers at Chauvin trial

This image provided by The Alexandria (Va.) Sheriff's Office shows Jacob Chansley. A judge ordered corrections authorities to provide organic food to the Arizona man who is accused of participating in the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol while sporting face paint, no shirt and a furry hat with horns. He was moved from the Washington jail to the Virginia facility. (Alexandria Sheriff's Office via AP)
Arizona man who wore horns in Capitol riot to remain jailed

Arizona man who wore horns in Capitol riot to remain jailed

Anti-coup protesters discharge fire extinguishers to counter the impact of the tear gas fired by police during a demonstration in Naypyitaw, Myanmar, Monday, March 8, 2021. The escalation of violence in Myanmar as authorities crack down on protests against the Feb. 1 coup is raising pressure for more sanctions against the junta, even as countries struggle over how to best sway military leaders inured to global condemnation. (AP Photo)
Myanmar protesters defy curfew; media outlets ordered shut

YANGON, Myanmar — Demonstrators in Myanmar’s biggest city came out Monday night… Continue reading

Crown-Indigenous Relations Minister Carolyn Bennett takes her seat as she wait to appear before the Indigenous and Northern Affairs committee in Ottawa on March 10, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
COVID-19 magnified systemic discrimination against Indigenous women: Bennett

COVID-19 magnified systemic discrimination against Indigenous women: Bennett

Elvira D'Angelo, 92, waits to receive her COVID-19 vaccination shot at a clinic in Montreal, Sunday, March 7, 2021, as the COVID-19 pandemic continues in Canada and around the world. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes
‘It’s been a good week’: Tam hopeful on vaccines as pandemic anniversary nears

‘It’s been a good week’: Tam hopeful on vaccines as pandemic anniversary nears

A newspaper is blown by the wind after it is placed on a railing by a television crew outside Buckingham Palace in London, Monday, March 8, 2021. Britain's royal family is absorbing the tremors from a sensational television interview by Prince Harry and the Duchess of Sussex, in which the couple said they encountered racist attitudes and a lack of support that drove Meghan to thoughts of suicide. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, Kirsty Wigglesworth
Harry and Meghan interview invites fresh scrutiny over Canada’s royal ties

Harry and Meghan interview invites fresh scrutiny over Canada’s royal ties

The cast of "Kim's Convenience" arrives on the red carpet for the 2019 Canadian Screen Awards in Toronto on March 31, 2019. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
CBC sitcom ‘Kim’s Convenience’ to end with fifth-season finale in April

CBC sitcom ‘Kim’s Convenience’ to end with fifth-season finale in April

Most Read