CALGARY — Houses that have been used for marijuana grow operations are usually an obvious mess, with burst pipes, broken walls and illegal wiring.
But even after the plants are hauled away and visible traces cleaned up, hundreds of types of mould can linger in the walls and floors, sickening those who later live there.
A new University of Calgary study calls on the Alberta government to become the first in Canada to set rules about air quality in former grow-ops.
Researcher Tang Lee says moulds are often toxic and can even be deadly to people who have underlying medical conditions.
He says the government needs to write strict standards, including ensuring people who test air quality are qualified and contractors who fix up these houses know how to deal with mould safely.
Bill Fowler with the Alberta Real Estate Association, which commissioned the study, says prospective homeowners need to know the home they’re buying is safe.