Garbage to be picked up at front of residences

Snow and slush are changing the way the city is handling garbage and recycling pickup.

Snow and slush are changing the way the city is handling garbage and recycling pickup.

As of Monday, residents are asked to put their bins at the front of their homes instead of in the back lanes/alleys in an effort to restore the usual level of service.

It’s the first time the city has ever had to do this.

Trucks will follow their regular schedules but avoid travelling down back lanes.

“This snowfall has affected our ability to maintain an adequate level of service for garbage and recycling pickup,” said Janet Whitesell, waste superintendent, in a press release. “As a result, we are temporarily adapting how we collect our garbage and recyclables in order to satisfy our customers and meet their needs.”

About 30 per cent of residential households receive front collection while the remaining 70 per cent receive garbage and recycling pickup in back lanes.

Front collection will continue until further notice and is expected to follow through to the spring.

The city is also offering free dropoff locations on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. to collect any garbage and recyclables recently missed.

The dropoff locations are at:

• Deer Park Alliance Church, 2960 39th St., east parking lot

• Oriole Park School, 5 Oldbury St.

• Parking lot on 43rd Street across from the downtown Arena and public market area; use east entrance across from Pioneer Lodge.

The Waste Management Facility at 1709 40th Ave. is also available for garbage and recycling missed on a regular collection day.

Just Posted

Gesundheit! Stifling a sneeze can cause injuries in rare cases, experts say

TORONTO — With cases of flu continuing to rise in Canada, there’s… Continue reading

‘Reprehensible’: Trudeau abortion policy raises ire of U.S. right

WASHINGTON — In what’s almost certainly a first in the lengthy history… Continue reading

Japan public TV sends mistaken North Korean missile alert

TOKYO — Japan’s public broadcaster mistakenly sent an alert warning citizens of… Continue reading

‘I shouldn’t have to have a husband:’ Winnipeg woman criticizes men-only club

WINNIPEG — A former chair of the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce says… Continue reading

Replay Red Deer Jan. 14: Watch news highlights in pictures

Stories mentioned: Red Deer RCMP seize large quantity of cocaine: Read more… Continue reading

Advocate poll takers oppose plastic bag ban

Red Deer Advocate readers like their plastic bags. In an Advocate poll,… Continue reading

Photo: Chilly work in Veterans’ Park

What a chilly job but somebody has to do it.… Continue reading

Boy, 15, one of three hit in Vancouver shooting

Police believe a man in his 20s was the target of the shooting

UBCO psychology professor placed under supervision with focus on “boundary issues”

Dr. Stephen Porter has stepped aside from his teaching duties

Alberta elementary school teacher arrested on child porn charges

Investigators charged a 44-year-old Pincher Creek man with possessing, accessing, and distributing child pornography

Report: Health problems could arise as Alaska warms

Climate change in Alaska has the potential to create serious physical and… Continue reading

U.S. cold snap was a freak of nature, quick analysis finds

Consider this cold comfort: A quick study of the brutal American cold… Continue reading

Canadian Kennel Club seeking to add 12 more dogs to its pack

2018’s incoming class could include the Portuguese sheepdog, Tibetan mastiff, rat terrier and Spanish water dog

Most Read


Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $185 for 260 issues (must live in delivery area to qualify) Unlimited Digital Access 99 cents for the first four weeks and then only $15 per month Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $15 a month