Gasoline Alley Farmers' Market began operating a small outdoor market on June 4. The markets will run every Saturday 1-4 p.m. until Aug. 27. (Photo from Facebook)

Gasoline Alley Farmers’ Market spreading outdoors

Outdoor markets to run Saturday afternoons through the summer

Gasoline Alley Farmers’ Market is branching out to the outdoors.

For the second Saturday, an outdoor offshoot of the market will operate again with around a dozen vendors setting up their tables on the west side from 1-4 p.m.

“It’s like bringing the outside in and the inside out,” said market general manager Shauna Fisher on Friday. “We open up doors and spill out to the side where there’s a patio.

“It’s just for the summer. We’ll finish it up on Aug. 27,” said Fisher.

The outdoor market is attracting new vendors who are interested in showcasing their wares for a few hours. While many vendors will set up a pop-up shop for a three-day weekend at the indoor market, others are looking for a smaller commitment.

“A lot of people can’t do that so we figured let’s facilitate for the ones who are just starting and want to come in for a few hours and try their products out and see how it works.”

Each weekend, Fisher is adding extra draws, such as face painting and a bouncy castle. Local musician Dean Ray will be performing on June 18.

As an Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development-approved farmers market, at least 80 per cent of the Gasoline Alley’s vendors must grow, make or bake their own products. The other 20 per cent can sell products that complement the market mix.

Fisher has focused on Alberta-made products and 90 per cent of the products at the market are from this province.

Public markets have fewer restrictions and are meant to operate along the lines of flea markets.



News tips

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter