EDMONTON — The federal government is warning Canadians of what it calls the “extreme danger” of using unregistered products to fight bedbugs.
The Health Canada warning comes after two children in northern Alberta died from a toxic insecticide brought back by the family from Pakistan.
The insecticide is legal in Canada, but requires special training to use.
The agency says bedbugs are difficult to deal with and recommends a licensed professional be called to exterminate them.
An eight-month-old girl and her two-year-old brother died after their parents placed aluminum phosphide around their apartment in Fort McMurray to try to kill bedbugs.
The toddler’s funeral was on Thursday and her brother’s service is today.