Community recognition awards and Premier’s Council on the Status of People with Disabilities were both presented at Carnival Theatre on Dec. 5 at an event hosted by Catholic Social Services.
Community recognition awards from the International Day of Persons with Disabilities planning committee in Red Deer went to the following people and groups:
– Pastor Randal Neufeld of the Church of the Nazarene who helps those with disabilities with their emotional, physical, spiritual and mental well-being.
– Jason Steele, an actor, director, film maker, writer and stand-up comedian who leads programs at The Hub on Ross.
– Chuck and Gladys Woodrow, owners and managers of The Hangar Pub and Grill who employ people with disabilities.
– Don Scorah who is vision-impaired and helps others with the same disability.
– City of Red Deer Emergency Services for having text with 911 available for those who are deaf, deafened, have hearing loss or speech impairments.