Josh Schultz

Josh Schultz

iPhone blaze burns teen

A Rimbey teenager was badly burned after his iPhone 5c caught fire while he was sleeping on Monday.

A Rimbey teenager was badly burned after his iPhone 5c caught fire while he was sleeping on Monday.

Josh Schultz, 16, went to bed around 10:30 p.m. in his basement bedroom when he woke up screaming around midnight.

“He was on fire,” said Carol Schultz, his mother, “He woke up because he was in pain and his bed was fire.”

Schultz said her son plugged his cellphone into the wall and placed it on the night stand beside his bed.

He suffered third-degree burns on his right leg and right hand and burns to other parts of his body.

The teenager’s screams alerted the rest of the family.

“We found his bed on fire and the flames going up the wall,” said Schultz. “We called 911. He grabbed a fire extinguisher and tried to put it out while my husband was dousing the mattress with water.”

Schultz said they got the fire under control while she evacuated the house with her three other children and dog.

She said her family is still very shaken and her son does not want to sleep. The family is staying in a hotel while the house is being repaired.

“It sounds bad but it’s a good thing he was burned because if he had not been burnt he would have died from the smoke inhalation,” said Schultz. “The flames were going up the wall to his two little brothers’ bedroom.”

Schultz said her son has not had any problems with his iPhone which he has had for about a year. The charging cord was in good shape too.

“It just makes us scared to plug in our phones,” said Schultz. “How many people plug their phones in before they go to bed? Everybody so it is charged in the morning.”

Schultz wants people to learn from their frightening experience and to be more wary when plugging in devices and to charge them in a visible place.

The fire caused damage to the basement walls, the bed, mattress and night stand. Smoke spread throughout the entire home.

Rimbey fire chief John Weisgerber did not provide estimate to the damage but called it “minimal.”

“(The cellphone) got hot enough apparently to start on fire,” said Weisgerber.

Schultz and her husband both have iPhones and have not had any problems. She is unsure if they will buy another iPhone.

“We just don’t know,” she said. “Every time we plug in our phone, it’s a fear.”

Schultz said this could have happened with any device whether it was an Apple product or another cellphone maker.

Weisgerber said he has read about these incidents online but this was the first incident that he responded to in Rimbey.

“Cellphones should never be on the bed just like candles should never be on the bed,” said Weisgerber.

The fire remains under investigation.

crhyno@bprda.wpengine.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

House prices in Alberta are going up in many communities, reports the ATB. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graeme Roy)
Alberta’s house prices are on the rise: ATB

Supply has been low, relative to demand

The interchange at Highway 2 and McKenzie Road at the south end of Gasoline Alley is being redesigned with two roundabouts. Construction is expected to begin this month and finish in October. (Graphic from Red Deer County)
Roudabouts coming to McKenzie Road overpass at Gasoline Alley

Project expected to improve traffic flow at busy intersections

A federal strategy to preserve threatened trout could conflict with provincial coal leases in the Eastern Slopes of the Rockies. (Contributed photo by Jeff Lund).
Federal regulations could save Alberta’s bull trout by shutting down mining plans, says biologist

Ottawa’s new strategy identifies a 30-metre protected area along rivers and streams

A prairie fire in the Burnt Lake district. (Photo by Bert Fors via Red Deer Archives)
Michael Dawe: Fires of spring 1931 in central Alberta

Central Alberta has just come through a relatively warm and dry winter… Continue reading

Gwynne Dyer
Opinion: Boris Johnson is to blame for what’s happening in Ireland

Twenty-three years of peace in Northern Ireland, after a sectarian war that… Continue reading

Canada's Sarah Pavan and Melissa Humana-Paredes, fom left, celebrate after winning women's gold medal match against Brazil's team at the Beach Volley Worldtour Major Series, in Vienna, Austria on August 4, 2019. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, Ronald Zak
Canada’s world champion beach volleyball duo finally getting games before Tokyo

Canada’s world champion beach volleyball duo finally getting games before Tokyo

Toronto Raptors center Khem Birch (24) gets fouled by Atlanta Hawks guard Bogdan Bogdanovic (13) during the first half of an NBA basketball game Tuesday, April 13, 2021, in Tampa, Fla. (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara)
Bogdanovic, Capela lead Hawks past Raptors 107-103

Bogdanovic, Capela lead Hawks past Raptors 107-103

Toronto Blue Jays starting pitcher Hyun Jin Ryu throws to a New York Yankees batter during the first inning of a baseball game Tuesday, April 13, 2021, in Dunedin, Fla. (AP Photo/Mike Carlson)
Ryu sharp into 7th, Semien homers as Blue Jays top Yanks 7-3

Ryu sharp into 7th, Semien homers as Blue Jays top Yanks 7-3

Calgary Flames' Johnny Gaudreau (13) scores the game winning goal on Toronto Maple Leafs goaltender David Rittich (33) in overtime NHL action in Toronto on Tuesday, April 13, 2021.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Frank Gunn
Gaudreau scores in overtime, Flames beat Maple Leafs 3-2

Gaudreau scores in overtime, Flames beat Maple Leafs 3-2

Jim Bullock, Vicki Pappas and Randy Waples off to Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame

Jim Bullock, Vicki Pappas and Randy Waples off to Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame

Canada's Evelyne Viens celebrates scoring against Wales during the women's international friendly soccer match at Leckwith Stadium, Wales, Friday April 9, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nick Potts/PA via AP
Canada capitalizes on England mistakes to win women’s soccer friendly 2-0

Canada capitalizes on England mistakes to win women’s soccer friendly 2-0

Most Read