Lacombe neighbour quickly extinguishes fire

Fire in clothes dryer could have been lot worse

A quick-thinking neighbour saved the day when fire broke out in a Lacombe home on Thursday.

The Lacombe Fire Department responded to the fire on Elana Crescent at 3:26 p.m. A neighbour was able to used a fire extinguisher to limit the fire damage to a clothes dryer before firefighters arrived.

Two people were in the home at the time. One occupant, who was young, suffered minor burns to her arm.

Firefighters cleared a significant accumulation of smoke from the home and removed the clothes dryer for further examination. Smoke damage to the home is estimated to be in the $10,000 range.

“This is an excellent example of the value in having a fire extinguisher available while the fire is small,” Fire Chief Ed vanDelden said. “Although it is difficult to speculate on what firefighters might have found if the fire extinguisher had not been used, it is certain the outcome would have been worse.”

The root cause of the fire is still under investigation, but residents are reminded to periodically clean lint from their clothes dryers. “Fine lint can accumulate in the appliance in more than just the lint filter, and it is extremely combustible,” vanDelden said.

Eighteen volunteer firefighters from Lacombe responded to the call. The first fire engine was on scene in approximately 12.5 minutes.

Be Among The First To Know

Sign up for a free account today, and receive top headlines in your inbox Monday to Saturday.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up
Pop-up banner image