A fire in a Penold home’s laundry room caused about $2,000 damage Thursday night.
Penhold Fire Department said firefighters responded at about 11:42 p.m. to a home on Larne Place, where a fire started near the clothes dryer.
“The plug was hot and had melted, and also had started the vapour barrier on fire,” said Lt. Max Johnston.
A family member reportedly heard a pop and spotted flames in the laundry room. The breaker was then turned off and the fire was smothered using a towel.
Fire Chief Jim Pendergast said the family did the right thing by calling 911, disconnecting the power and evacuating the building.
No injuries were reported.