Lawsuit in U.S. alleges CBC used YouTube video without owner’s permission

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation is facing a lawsuit in the United States over the alleged use of a YouTube video without the owner’s permission.

TORONTO — The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation is facing a lawsuit in the United States over the alleged use of a YouTube video without the owner’s permission.

In the suit filed Aug. 11 to the Western District court of New York state, Alfonzo Cutaia of Buffalo, N.Y., alleges that the CBC violated U.S. copyright law by using a video of a winter storm he filmed and uploaded to YouTube last year without his permission.

CNN is also named in the suit which claims CBC obtained the video — called Buffalo Lake Effect — from that organization.

The statement of claim, obtained by The Canadian Press, alleges CBC posted the video on the broadcaster’s website — cbc.ca — with the CBC logo as an overlay, and uploaded the video to Yahoo Screens’ website.

Cutaia is seeking an injunction against any further use of his video as well as damages.

A spokeswoman for the CBC says the public broadcaster is aware of the lawsuit but has not been served yet.

The video — a 31-second time-lapse filmed from Cutaia’s downtown Buffalo office window and uploaded on Nov. 18, 2014 — captured a severe snowstorm that covered the area with as much as two metres of snow over several days.

Cutaia said he was contacted by many media organizations who were interested in using his video, but CBC was not one of them.

“It kind of went viral,” Cutaia said during a telephone interview from his home in Buffalo. “My phone started ringing off the hook really, everywhere, home, work, cellphone, Facebook, you name it, people tried to get (me) anyway they can to try and ask permission.”

Cutaia said he consistently told media outlets they could use his video for broadcast, but he didn’t give permission for the video to be uploaded to websites because he was enrolled in the YouTube monetization program.

“I said (the media) could embed or link to it on websites because they could take advantage of being able to use my video and I would still get credit for all the views,” he said.

“I didn’t know whether or not it would be any significant sum of money but another thing I enjoyed was watching the view count go up,” Cutaia said. “I wanted the views for both reasons.”

After discovering his video on the CBC website, Cutaia said he wrote a letter to the broadcaster in June informing them of his rights to the video.

In a response letter dated July 14, CBC lawyer Marcel Lacoursiere said the video was obtained under a 10-day license from CNN, Cutaia said. Lacoursiere wrote that after receiving Cutaia’s letter, an investigation revealed the video had been used beyond the 10 days.

“In this case, the use of the video beyond the 10-day period was done in good faith and with no bad intention. The credit at your name appeared at all times in our broadcasting, as furnished by our provider,” Lacoursiere wrote.

He also wrote than the video had been removed from the website that it was never distributed to “any other channels or business entities and no sale was made for this video and no license or distribution rights were given.”

CBC spokesperson Emma Bedard declined to comment on the allegations, which have not been tested in court.

“Since we haven’t been served and we’re not sure exactly what the accusations are or will potentially be, we’ll certainly be in a better position to respond to it once we’ve seen them,” Bedard said.

Cutaia’s video has 3.8 million views so far on YouTube.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney speaks during a news conference in Edmonton on Feb. 24, 2020. It’s budget day in the province, and Kenney’s United Conservative government is promising more help in the fight against COVID, but more red ink on the bottom line. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
Alberta’s budget promises more help for COVID-19 with a hard deficit

EDMONTON — Alberta’s COVID-19-era budget made a hard landing Thursday with an… Continue reading

The expansion of the Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre has been discussed for over a decade. (File photo by Advocate staff)
Red Deer hospital expansion gets about $6 million in 2021 provincial budget

According to the government’s three-year plan, the project will get $59 million by 2024.

The Town of Sylvan Lake has launched a new contest to attract a new business. (File photo by Advocate staff)
Sylvan Lake offering rent-free storefront space to lure new businesses

Winning business proposal will get a storefront space rent-free for a year

Red Deer Rebels forward Josh Tarzwell is hoping to pick up where he left off last season as the 2020-21 WHL season kicks off Friday in Red Deer against the Medicine Hat Tigers. (Photo by BYRON HACKETT/Advocate Staff)
Rebels set to host Tigers in WHL season opener

24-game WHL Alberta only season kicks off night Friday at the Centrium

An arrest by Red Deer RCMP is facing online scrutiny. No charges have been laid and the incident is still under investigation. (Screenshot of YouTube video)
Red Deer RCMP investigating violent arrest caught on video

Police say officer ‘acted within the scope of his duties’

Commander of the Royal Canadian Navy Vice-Admiral Art McDonald is seen during an interview with The Canadian Press in Ottawa, Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2019. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Military reeling as new defence chief steps aside amid allegations of misconduct

Military reeling as new defence chief steps aside amid allegations of misconduct

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney speaks during a news conference in Edmonton on Feb. 24, 2020. It’s budget day in the province, and Kenney’s United Conservative government is promising more help in the fight against COVID, but more red ink on the bottom line. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
Alberta’s budget promises more help for COVID-19 with a hard deficit

Alberta’s budget promises more help for COVID-19 with a hard deficit

‘Black box’ in Woods SUV could yield clues to cause of wreck

‘Black box’ in Woods SUV could yield clues to cause of wreck

Team Saskatchewan skip Sherry Anderson reacts to her shot against Team Quebec at the Scotties Tournament of Hearts in Calgary, Alta., Tuesday, Feb. 23, 2021.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Peterson’s wild-card team edges N.W.T. skip Galusha to qualify for championship pool

Peterson’s wild-card team edges N.W.T. skip Galusha to qualify for championship pool

No-size-fits-all residence approach a reality for Canadian Hockey League teams

No-size-fits-all residence approach a reality for Canadian Hockey League teams

FILE - New York Rangers' Henrik Lundqvist reacts after a save during the third period of an NHL hockey game against the Philadelphia Flyers in New York, in this Sunday, March 1, 2020, file photo. The Flyers defeated the Rangers 5-3. Star goalie Henrik Lundqvist will sit out the upcoming NHL season because of a heart condition, announcing the news a little more than two months after joining the Washington Capitals. Lundqvist posted a written statement and a videotaped one on social media Thursday, Dec. 17, 2020, saying it was a "pretty tough and emotional day." The 38-year-old from Sweden was bought out by the New York Rangers after 15 seasons and signed a $1.5 million, one-year deal with Washington in October. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig, File)
Lundqvist back on ice, ‘months’ away from deciding future

Lundqvist back on ice, ‘months’ away from deciding future

Kiiwetinoong MPP Sol Mamakwa holds up water collected from Neskantaga First Nation, where residents were evacuated over tainted water in October, during a rally at Queen's Park in Toronto on Friday, Nov. 6, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Carlos Osorio
Feds didn’t supply enough resources to end water advisories on First Nations: auditor

Feds didn’t supply enough resources to end water advisories on First Nations: auditor

A dose of COVID-19 vaccine is prepared at a vaccination clinic in Montreal's Olympic Stadium on Tuesday, Feb. 23, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson
Quebec starts COVID-19 vaccination bookings for seniors; those in Ontario must wait

Quebec starts COVID-19 vaccination bookings for seniors; those in Ontario must wait

Most Read