Man accused of stabbing 5 people to death in Calgary faces another delay

A psychiatric assessment for a man accused of stabbing five young people in Calgary’s worst mass murder is complete but its results won’t be known for another month.

CALGARY — A psychiatric assessment for a man accused of stabbing five young people in Calgary’s worst mass murder is complete but its results won’t be known for another month.

Matthew de Grood, 23, has already been found fit to stand trial, but the Crown wanted a mental review to determine if he could be found criminally responsible if convicted.

Court heard Thursday that the report will be ready by de Grood’s next court appearance set for Sept. 26.

De Grood, who appeared via closed-circuit TV from Edmonton, said nothing.

“We got word from Alberta Hospital from the forensic psychiatrist that she required more time to … determine her opinion if there’s criminal responsibility or not criminally responsible,” said Crown prosecutor Neil Wiberg.

“As a result of that request, the matter will be next in court on Sept. 26.”

De Grood was charged in April with first-degree murder in the stabbings at a party near the University of Calgary to mark the end of the school year.

A preliminary hearing has already been scheduled to begin March 2. No matter what the psychiatrist’s report says, the hearing will go ahead unless the defence decides to waive its right to it.

“To my knowledge, no matter what the finding will be, this matter will proceed to preliminary inquiry and trial,” said de Grood’s lawyer Allan Fay.

“Ultimately we have to get a judge’s ruling as to whether he was criminally responsible at the time.”

De Grood, the son of a senior Calgary police officer, has been in psychiatric care since his arrest.

“When I last spoke to him he seems to be doing all right, as well as one can expect under the circumstances,” said Fay.

“His parents are doing as well as one would imagine under the circumstances. They’ve been up to Edmonton on a number of occasions to visit him so they are appreciative of that opportunity.”

De Grood is to remain in Edmonton until Sept. 19 and then transferred to the southern Alberta psychiatric unit prior to his next court appearance.

Police have not said what they think motivated the attack, but say de Grood was invited to the party April 15 and mingled with guests before violence broke out.

Zackariah Rathwell, 21; Lawrence Hong, 27; Joshua Hunter, 23; Jordan Segura, 22; and Kaiti Perras, 23, were slain.

Just Posted

Murder charges laid against woman from the Sunchild First Nation

The 25-year-old female victim was found dead on Dec. 12

Canada caught between 2 powers, feeling alone in the world

TORONTO — First U.S. President Donald Trump attacked Canada on trade. Then… Continue reading

Carbon pricing is most efficient way to cut emissions, Canadian Chamber says

OTTAWA — Canada’s largest business group has endorsed a carbon tax as… Continue reading

Tory senators stalling laws for political advantage, Independents say

OTTAWA — Conservative senators are being accused of deliberately stalling Liberal government… Continue reading

Fashion Fridays: How to change your beauty routine

Kim XO, lets you in on her style secrets each Fashion Friday on the Black Press Media Network

WHL’s Thunderbirds, Silvertips open to NHL joining Seattle hockey market

TORONTO — The Seattle area’s major junior hockey teams aren’t worried about… Continue reading

Canadian freestyle skier Karker excited for Dew Tour’s modified superpipe

Rachael Karker has a renewed sense of confidence heading into her second… Continue reading

CBS settled with Dushku over ‘Bull’ star’s sexual comments

LOS ANGELES — CBS reached a $9.5 million confidential settlement last year… Continue reading

Kanye reignites Drake feud on Twitter, alleges threats

LOS ANGELES — Kanye West is not sending Christmas cheer to Drake.… Continue reading

Councillors in Toronto, Ottawa vote to allow retail cannabis stores

TORONTO — Councillors in Toronto have voted to allow retail pot shops… Continue reading

Barry Cooper: Separation has become a real possibility, thanks to Ottawa’s abuses

In the past couple of weeks, a retired senior oil executive, Gwyn… Continue reading

Sex assault trial for former gymnastics coach resumes in Sarnia

SARNIA, Ont. — The trial of a former high-ranking gymnastics coach accused… Continue reading

Most Read