Manager in deadly Toronto scaffolding collapse gets 3 1/2 years in prison

A Toronto construction manager convicted in a 2009 scaffolding collapse that left four members of his crew dead was sentenced to three and a half years behind bars Monday.

TORONTO — A Toronto construction manager convicted in a 2009 scaffolding collapse that left four members of his crew dead was sentenced to three and a half years behind bars Monday.

Vadim Kazenelson was found guilty last June on four counts of criminal negligence causing death and one count of criminal negligence causing bodily harm.

The judge presiding over the case found the 40-year-old was aware that protections against falls were not in place, but still allowed his workers to board a swing stage that broke in half, causing five workers to plummet to the ground. Only one of them survived.

Justice Ian MacDonnell said the sentence he imposed was proportionate to the gravity of Kazenelson’s offences.

“The seriousness of the offences committed by Mr. Kazenelson and their consequences cannot be doubted,” he said. “A significant term of imprisonment is necessary to reflect the terrible consequences.”

Notwithstanding his actions on the day of the scaffolding collapse, MacDonnell said Kazenelson was “unquestionably a man of good character.” But his breach of duty that day was more than a momentary lapse, MacDonnell said, noting that he had to deliver a sentence that would deter others from making the same errors.

Kazenelson has apologized for his role in the collapse and said he lives with the pain of what happened every day.

He was led away in handcuffs following his sentencing but was released on bail Monday afternoon as his lawyer appeals the case.

“We respectfully believe that the trial judge, Justice MacDonnell, made errors,” said Kazenelson’s lawyer Lou Strezos. “We say he misapprehended evidence and failed to consider evidence that pointed in a different direction.”

But Crown prosecutor Rochelle Direnfeld called MacDonnell’s sentence “absolutely just.”

“It’s precedent-setting, no doubt,” she said, explaining that it was the first time such a decision had been delivered under a section of the criminal code established in 2004 that imposes a legal duty on supervisors to take reasonable steps to prevent their workers from being harmed.

MacDonnell’s sentence was also lauded by certain labour groups.

“This is a victory,” said Sylvia Boyce of the United Steelworkers. “Employers have an obligation and a duty to protect the health and safety of workers, and I think this right now certainly will open up their eyes, make it a societal change.”

The Ontario Federation of Labour added that Kazenelson’s case sent a strong message.

“Those men did not need to lose their lives,” said president Chris Buckley. “It’s the first time an employer is going to jail for the death of a worker and it’s been classed as a criminal offence.”

On the day when the scaffolding collapse occurred — Christmas Eve 2009 — six workers who were rushing to meet a construction deadline to repair balconies got onto a swing stage they had been using to go up and down the outside of a building, but the stage only had two safety lifelines, court heard.

At that point, Kazenelson, who had arrived partway through, handed tools to the workers on the stage from a 13th floor balcony, his trial heard.

Kazenelson asked the site foreman, who was present, about the lifelines at one point, but was told by him not to worry and no more was said, court heard.

“In a sense, he inherited a problem that was created by his foreman,” MacDonnell acknowledged, before noting that Kazenelson nonetheless did not insist that safety measures be taken once he became aware of the situation.

“Mr. Kazenelson adverted to the risk, weighed it against (construction company) Metron’s interest to keep the work going and decided to take a chance.”

The trial heard that Kazenelson managed to hold onto a balcony when the swing stage suddenly split in two.

Alesandrs Bondarevs, Aleksey Blumberg, Vladamir Korostin and foreman Fayzullo Fazilov fell to their deaths, while Dilshod Marupov survived the fall with fractures to his spine and ribs.

The men ranged from 21 to 40 years old and were from Latvia, Uzbekistan and Ukraine.

Only one worker, who was the sole person properly secured to a lifeline, was left suspended in mid-air until Kazenelson hauled him up onto a balcony, court heard.

Just Posted

Break-in at Red Deer business

Social media reports confirm a business break and enter in Red Deer… Continue reading

‘Rough waters’: Spill raises new questions about fast-growing N.L. oil industry

ST. JOHN’S, N.L. — Newfoundland and Labrador’s ambitious plans to dramatically expand… Continue reading

Trudeau rules out snap election call, national ballot slated for Oct. 21

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says there will be no early… Continue reading

Canadian firm says it has found largest diamond ever unearthed in North America

YELLOWKNIFE — A Canadian mining firm says it has unearthed the largest… Continue reading

Man from Olds killed in collision near Sundre

A 39-year-old man from Olds was killed in a collision near Sundre… Continue reading

WATCH: More than 100 protest UN migration pact, carbon tax in Red Deer

Chants of “Trudeau must go” echoed through the streets of downtown Red… Continue reading

Man who demolished landmark house ordered to build replica

SAN FRANCISCO — A man who illegally demolished a San Francisco house… Continue reading

Giuliani: ‘Over my dead body’ will Mueller interview Trump

WASHINGTON — With a number of probes moving closer to the Oval… Continue reading

Quebecers criticize western oil but buying more gasoline, SUVs, bigger homes: report

MONTREAL — Quebec’s premier is quick to reject “dirty” oil from Western… Continue reading

Speaker Geoff Regan opens the door to his apartment in Parliament

OTTAWA — One of the best-kept secrets inside the main building on… Continue reading

Baloo the cat is back at home after being mistakenly shipped to Montreal

HALIFAX — Much to the relief of his loving family, Baloo the… Continue reading

‘It’s what we do’: Famous Newfoundlanders help replace veteran’s stolen guitar

ST. JOHN’S, N.L. — Two famous Newfoundlanders stepped in to help an… Continue reading

Quebec’s anti-corruption unit blames media coverage for recruiting troubles

MONTREAL — Seven years after it was created, Quebec’s anti-corruption unit is… Continue reading

Former PQ cabinet minister poised to become next Bloc Quebecois leader

MONTREAL — It appears likely that Yves-Francois Blanchet, a former Parti Quebecois… Continue reading

Most Read