File photo by THE CANADIAN PRESS Allan Perdomo Lopez is charged with manslaughter in the July 2015 death of five-year-old Emilio Perdomo. The Crown played 11 recordings from phone taps and probes in the family’s Calgary home and vehicle.

Manslaughter trial hears recording of accused praying for forgiveness

CALGARY — A trial for a man charged in the death of his grandson has heard recordings of what appear to be the accused praying for forgiveness.

Allan Perdomo Lopez is charged with manslaughter in the July 2015 death of five-year-old Emilio Perdomo.

The Crown played 11 recordings from phone taps and probes in the family’s Calgary home and vehicle.

Sgt. Tony Acosta testified Monday that he and his colleagues listened to 200 hours of audio and zeroed in on any references to Emilio. The investigation was dubbed Operation Hope.

Acosta said he was able to identify the voices of Perdomo Lopez, the accused’d wife and their three daughters.

In one from Sept. 5, 2015, a man Acosta identified as Perdomo Lopez is heard apparently praying in Spanish in the family’s minivan, saying he ”didn’t want to kill that child.”

An English translation was not read in court, but prosecutor Vicki Faulkner asked Acosta to verify the accuracy of a written transcript.

Acosta, whose first language is Spanish, confirmed the child Perdomo Lopez was referring to was a boy, not a girl.

In another police intercept, a male voice that Acosta also identified as Perdomo Lopez can be heard weeping and saying “sorry” repeatedly in Spanish.

The trial has previously heard Emilio died of blunt force brain trauma about a week after he was rushed to hospital unconscious.

A forensic pathologist who did the boy’s autopsy testified there was not enough evidence to classify his death either an accident or a homicide. Other expert testimony for the Crown suggested Emilio’s injuries were inflicted by someone.

The trial also heard earlier that Emilio was a happy and healthy boy in Mexico before he was brought to Canada. He died five months after his arrival.

The accused’s wife, Carolina Perdomo, was originally charged in the death, but the Crown stayed a manslaughter charge against her in February.

The Crown has closed its case. The defence is to begin submissions on Wednesday.

Comments are closed

Just Posted

Study says rents in most cities are unaffordable for lower-income earners

OTTAWA — A minimum-wage worker could afford to rent in just a… Continue reading

Summer travel deals require flexibility if you want to find a deal

OTTAWA — As social media feeds fill up with pictures of friends… Continue reading

Ontario man calls out Eric Trump for tweet that used son’s image

An Ontario man is calling out a member of the Trump family… Continue reading

Opinion: Supervised consumption sites can’t be abandoned in Alberta

By Heather Sweet When Jason Luan, the provincial government’s associate minister of… Continue reading

FIFA claims progress in letting women attend games in Iran

ZURICH — FIFA says Iran’s soccer federation supports letting women attend 2022… Continue reading

Diving gold and perfect marks for Chen Yuxi at age 13

GWANGJU, Korea, Republic Of — Thirteen-year-old Chinese diver Chen Yuxi won the… Continue reading

Louvre in Paris removes Sackler name after opioid protests

PARIS — France’s Louvre Museum in Paris has become the first major… Continue reading

Man shouting ‘You die’ kills nearly 30 at Japan anime studio

TOKYO — A man screaming “You die!” burst into an animation production… Continue reading

Devers hits solo shot, drives in 4; Red Sox beat Jays 5-4

Red Sox 5 Blue Jays 4 BOSTON — Rafael Devers hit a… Continue reading

Argonauts still looking for first win as they face Stampeders on road

CALGARY — Dave Dickenson warned that the Calgary Stampeders can’t take a… Continue reading

Natural gas producers demand government action in open letter to Kenney

CALGARY — The CEOs of nine Alberta natural gas producers have released… Continue reading

Most Read