Metis feel left out of ’60s Scoop settlement unveiled by federal government

OTTAWA — Métis people say they feel left out of the federal Liberal government’s multimillion-dollar settlement with victims of the so-called ’60s Scoop, which saw Indigenous children removed from their homes and placed into the foster care system.

Duane Morrisseau-Beck, a ’60s Scoop survivor and a director of the National Indigenous Survivors of Child Welfare Network, likened his feelings to when he first learned he was adopted as a child in Manitoba.

“It just brought me right back to when I was six years old,” Morrisseau-Beck said Tuesday of the federal government’s announcement last week.

“I still get chills because it really reinforced, sort of, that memory…. It goes back to feeling disconnected and not wanted.”

It’s a feeling many in the Métis community know well, he added.

“I have been inundated with Facebook postings and inbox messages asking why we are not included,” he said. “I don’t have an answer to that question.”

The Métis National Council has also been flooded with calls, said president Clement Chartier, who complained of having been left in the dark about the settlement, which commits up to $750 million in compensation for status Indian and Inuit victims.

“I am disappointed that the federal government didn’t ask us or consult us about this whole process and let us know it was happening,” Chartier said in an interview.

“That would have been a reasonable thing to do at least we would have been able to voice our concerns and determine what are the issues and what do we need to have it resolved and have Métis Nation citizens affected by the ’60s Scoop dealt with.”

The settlement follows an Ontario court decision from February, when the federal government was found liable for the harm done to at-risk, on-reserve Indigenous children who were placed in non-Aboriginal homes from 1965 to 1984 under terms of a federal-provincial agreement.

The office of Crown-Indigenous Relations Minister Carolyn Bennett said Tuesday it is committed to working with other scoop victims.

“Part of that collective work includes working with our provincial and territorial partners to find a way forward on the outstanding ’60s Scoop claims,” the office said in a statement.

It also pointed to the federal investment of $50 million to revitalize Métis, First Nations and Inuit languages and cultures.

The provinces, too, bear as much responsibility as Ottawa — if not more — for the damages wrought by removing children from their families and putting them in the social services system, said lawyer Tony Merchant.

“We are suing all across Canada,” Merchant said. “Those actions will continue. They are not settled and the actions against the provincial governments, I hope, will recover for the Métis and non-status Indians … they too are left out.”

Just Posted

WATCH: Finishing touches being put on Servus Arena

The finishing touches are being put on Red Deer’s newest arena. The… Continue reading

Suspect in police chase in court

RCMP opened fire twice while trying to arrest suspects in vehicle chase in October

New temporary beds will immediately help Red Deer homeless

The 20 new temporary beds approved for Safe Harbour’s warming centre cannot… Continue reading

Red Deer RCMP are seeking man posing as a police officer

Suspect is large, in his 30s, with red hair and beard

Update: “Someone knows something” – police

Motorist dies near Ponoka after loose tire collides with vehicle near Ponoka

Red Deer police seize rifles and shotguns from storage locker

A man and a woman facing nearly 200 charges after 29 firearms seized last month

Notley criticizes MLA who fired staffer after sex harassment complaint

Notley says if Jason Nixon was her house leader he’d be out of a job immediately.

Red Deer needs to find a solution to syringe debris: city manager

City will consider the problem during the 2018 operating budget talks

WestJet Christmas video turns children’s wishes into reality

This year’s annual video took a new spin on the 12 days of Christmas

VIDEO: Replay Red Deer Dec. 10

Watch news highlights from Red Deer and Central Alberta

VIDEO: B.C. to end geographic area rent increases, close fixed-term lease loopholes

Both clauses allowed landlords to raise rents above the max annual allowable rent increase

UPDATE: Train hits hydro pole, causes outage near Deltaport

No injuries reported but traffic in and out of Deltaport is blocked

A Red Deer daycare coordinator wins provincial award of excellence

Nicole Morrell is a coordinator at Johnstone Daycare

Holiday shopping season picking up in Red Deer

With 18 shopping days left until Christmas, Red Deer businesses are cautiously… Continue reading

Most Read


Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $185 for 260 issues (must live in delivery area to qualify) Unlimited Digital Access 99 cents for the first four weeks and then only $15 per month Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $15 a month