An electrical problem caused a mobile home fire that left three people homeless last week.
Red Deer County District Fire Chief Tom Metzger said the 2 a.m. Thursday fire was traced to an older-style two-pronged razor plug outlet.
A mother and her teen daughter escaped the fire and were treated and released from hospital for minor smoke inhalation. Another person was not at home at the time of the fire.
Two dozen volunteer firefighters responded to the blaze destroyed the home in Melody Meadows mobile home park about five km west of the city, off Burnt Lake Trail.
The trailer had smoke alarms apparently, but they did not work.
“They’re really lucky they got out,” he said. The two were treated and released from hospital for minor smoke inhalation.
Metzger said the incident should serve as a reminder to all homeowners to check their alarms regularly to ensure they are functioning.