A discarded cigarette butt caused about $150,000 damage to a Morrisroe home early Wednesday morning.
Red Deer Emergency Services were called to a house fire at 42 Malcolm Cr. shortly after 4:15 a.m. Crews extinguished the fire and no one was injured.
Two adults and two children were evacuated from the home safely.
The investigation found the fire started at the exterior of the home after a cigarette butt was discarded into a blue box.
It is estimated that the single family home suffered $150,000 in damage.
Red Deer Emergency Services would like to remind residents to discard smoking material carefully. Deep, sturdy ashtrays or pails with sand should be used and placed away from anything that can burn. Cigarettes should be out before they are discarded.