Natural gas scare forces evacuation of Collicutt Centre

The Collicutt Centre was evacuated early Wednesday morning after staff members smelled natural gas.

The Collicutt Centre was evacuated early Wednesday morning after staff members smelled natural gas.

Staff contacted 911 and the building was emptied of staff and patrons. ATCO Gas and Red Deer Emergency Services personnel arrived on scene around 6 a.m. on Wednesday and the gas to the building was turned off. No one was injured.

Barb McKee, supervisor of the Collicutt Centre, said a burner knob had turned on and a pilot light had blown out in the food services area at the Collicutt Centre. She said there was no mechanical difficulty with the stove. It is not known when or who turned the burner knob on.

It’s the second time in a number of weeks that the Collicutt Centre has had to be evacuated.

McKee said in an unrelated incident a few weeks ago the sprinkler system started going off in the food services area of the building.

She said in both instances staff appreciate how understanding and co-operative the public was during the evacuation.