Nigerian Shiites claim soldiers have killed hundreds, other reports 20 including leader’s wife

Soldiers killed hundreds of Shiite Muslims this weekend after their group opened fire on the convoy of Nigeria's army chief, the Shia Islamic Movement and military reports said Monday. Other reports put the number of dead at about 20.

KADUNA, Nigeria — Soldiers killed hundreds of Shiite Muslims this weekend after their group opened fire on the convoy of Nigeria’s army chief, the Shia Islamic Movement and military reports said Monday. Other reports put the number of dead at about 20.

Shiite leader Ibraheem Zakzaky and his wife, Zeenah Ibrahim, are in military custody, Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna state told The Associated Press. The movement had earlier reported that Zakzaky’s wife was among the dead from the military raids in northern Zaria town, along with two of their sons and Zakzaky’s deputy.

“They were arrested alive and are receiving medical attention,” El-Rufai said in an email message that implied the couple may have been wounded.

Zeenah Ibrahim called AP early Sunday to report that soldiers were besieging her home in a “pre-planned attack to assassinate the sheikh.” She said hundreds of Zakzaky’s followers surrounded the house to protect the leader.

Witness Ojo Momodu said the Shiites barricaded the road with burning tires as Buratai approached and then stoned his convoy. Momodu said residents are frequently harassed by the Shiites’ unlawful blocking of roads for processions.

Army spokesman Col. Sani Usman called the stoning of Gen. Tukur Buratai’s convoy “a deliberate attempt to assassinate.”

A report from the Nigerian Army Corps of Military Police said some Shiites were crawling through tall grass toward Buratai’s vehicle “with the intent to attack the vehicle with (a) petrol bomb” while others “suddenly resorted to firing gunshots from the direction of the mosque.” It said other Shiites were armed with swords and daggers. The report, marked “restricted,” is dated Dec. 12 and said the incident began around 11:30 Saturday.

The military raids on Zakzaky’s home and spiritual centres in two other areas in Zaria took place hours later and lasted into Sunday morning.

Ibrahim said the military has targeted the movement in the past, and last year killed three of her sons who had come home from studies in Beijing and Beirut for a religious procession.

Movement spokesman Ibrahim Musa said the military retaliated with “indiscriminate killing.” His statement received Monday said, “The killing was so brutal at Gyallesu (one area of Zaria) that even those injured in the shooting were identified and killed in cold blood by the soldiers.”

Reports from human rights activists and Nigerian newspapers said about 20 people were killed.

It was impossible to independently verify the toll as the military Monday continued a lockdown preventing access to the areas.

The Shiites two weeks ago suffered a suicide bombing by Boko Haram that killed 22 people. Boko Haram often attacks Muslims who oppose its radical vision of Islam.

In 2009, Nigerian armed forces attacked Boko Haram’s headquarters and killed about 700 people, including its leader. The group re-emerged as a much more violent entity.

Just Posted

Despite warnings, plenty of temptations to thieves left in vehicles

Lock It or Lose It campaign still finding plenty of valuables left in plain sight

WATCH: Notley invites central Albertans to “team up” with New Democrats for equitable, prosperous future

NDP leader lashes out against her rival, Jason Kenney, calling him a cheater

Red Deer sees highest rate of fentanyl deaths

47 fentanyl-related deaths in 2018

Why Solar: Canada needs to get its collective house in order

Canada needs to get a grip. The country has one of the… Continue reading

Gardening: Take care when making plant purchases

After a cold February, the longer sunny days and warmer weather triggers… Continue reading

Canadian pair fifth after short program at figure skating worlds

SAITAMA, Japan — Canada’s Kirsten Moore-Towers and Michael Marinaro are fifth after… Continue reading

Director Kim Nguyen tackles financial ‘madness’ in ‘The Hummingbird Project’

TORONTO — As Quebec filmmaker Kim Nguyen tells it, “The Hummingbird Project”… Continue reading

What Disney gets as its $71.3B buy of Fox assets closes

It’s finally complete. Disney closed its $71 billion acquisition of Fox’s entertainment… Continue reading

Opinion: Let’s be heard ‘loud and clear’ during provincial election campaign

By David Marsden During the banquet for Sunday’s Boston Bruins alumni game,… Continue reading

Documentary on Colten Boushie case to open Toronto’s Hot Docs festival

TORONTO — A film examining the case of a young Indigenous man… Continue reading

Most Read