Red Deer & District Community Foundation has named 29 nominees for the the 2016 Women of Excellence Awards.
Award recipients will be announced at the 9th Annual Women of Excellence Awards Gala to be held on June 1 to honour the contributions of the nominees who serve as role models for women and girls.
A Lifetime Achievement Award, sponsored by Royal Bank of Canada, will be presented to an exemplary woman who has been a role model for the community for many years.
Award categories and nominees include:
• Agriculture sponsored by Scotiabank — Jennifer Blair, of Red Deer.
• Arts, Culture and Heritage sponsored by Air Canada — Elizabeth Plumtree, of Red Deer; Nellie Watson, of Eckville.
• Athletics, Recreation and Fitness sponsored by The Consider It Done Team and Century 21 Advantage — Christine Slaymaker, of Red Deer; Monica Morrison, of Red Deer.
• Business and the Professions sponsored by Johnston Ming Manning LLP — Dr. Katherine Atchinson, of Red Deer; Archana Chaundhary, of Red Deer.
• Community Building sponsored by ATCO Gas — Kelly Tibbets, of Red Deer; Judy Robins Weir, of Red Deer.
• Education and Training sponsored by Red Deer College — Kathleen Finnigan, of Red Deer; Bonnie Ireland, of Stettler; Zainab Mohamoud, of Red Deer; Anne Marie Watson, of Red Deer; Sherry Cooper, of Penhold; Bev Toews, of Olds.
• Entrepreneurship sponsored by MNP LLP — Shauna Bossert, of Red Deer; Tamara Hughes, of Red Deer; Sheena Johnson and Courtney Hollenga, of Red Deer; Melanie Warren, of Red Deer.
• Environment sponsored by TD Canada Trust — Blayne West, of Sylvan Lake.
• Health and Wellness sponsored by Warren Sinclair LLP — Cherilynne Purpur, of Springbrook.
• Human Services sponsored by Holiday Inn & Suites in Gasoline Alley — Beverly Keeshig-Soonias, of Sylvan Lake; Jennifer Holubetz, of Stettler.
• Young Woman of Excellence sponsored by Stantec Consulting — Poshika Dhingra, of Red Deer; Ivy Patterson, of Caroline; Nisha Johny, of Red Deer; Becca Swanson, of Red Deer; Alvina (Syeda) Zaidi, of Red Deer.
The gala at Sheraton Red Deer features a seated dinner, raffle, and silent auction. Tickets are $100 each and a reserved table of eight is $800. For tickets call 403-341-6911.
Red Deer & District Community Foundation’s Women of Excellence Awards Gala is presented by The Red Deer Advocate, 100.7 Cruz FM and Foundation sponsor Sheraton Red Deer.