Then Canadian Forces ombudsman Gary Walbourne appears at a Senate veterans affairs committee in Ottawa on Wednesday, May 4, 2016. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

Ombudsman rebuts Sajjan’s assertions on predecessor’s handling of Vance allegation

Ombudsman rebuts Sajjan’s assertions on predecessor’s handling of Vance allegation

OTTAWA — Military ombudsman Greg Lick issued a strong rebuke of Canada’s defence minister on Thursday, after Harjit Sajjan suggested Lick’s predecessor could have done more with an allegation of sexual misconduct against Gen. Jonathan Vance.

Testifying before the House of Commons committee on the status of women, Lick said former ombudsman Gary Walbourne had no other avenue but to bring the allegation directly to Sajjan in March 2018 — and that he would have followed the exact same steps.

That includes refusing to speak to senior officials in the Privy Council Office after Sajjan referred the allegation to them, which Walbourne has previously said was against his wishes and those of the complainant.

“The current reporting structure of the ombudsman is directly to the minister of national defence, not to the Privy Council Office or any other body,” Lick told committee members in his opening statement.

“Had I been faced with the same facts, I would have done exactly as my predecessor did: I would have reported the facts within my direct reporting structure. There is no other body to which the matter could have been referred.”

Sajjan suggested to the same committee earlier this week that Walbourne had numerous avenues available to him, including reporting the matter to the military’s civilian-run sexual misconduct response centre or military police.

Lick, like Walbourne, was adamant: Without the complainant’s permission, the only place to go was the minister.

“My office cannot go to any external body without the consent of the complainant,” Lick said. “That’s the most important part in this whole discussion.”

Even as Lick was insisting that Walbourne could not have taken the allegation anywhere else but the minister, the commander of the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service indicated to the committee that Sajjan himself could have referred the matter to his unit.

Lt.-Col. Eric Leblanc told committee members that anyone can ask his unit to look into an allegation, including those dealing with sexual misconduct, and that the defence minister’s doing so would not constitute interference or otherwise be inappropriate.

But Leblanc, who repeatedly defended the independence and professionalism of his officers, said only the provost marshal — the military’s top police officer — can actually order him to launch an investigation.

“Nobody outside of the provost marshal can direct me to conduct an investigation,” he said. “Folks can report an allegation to us and then we’ll decide whether or not we proceed with an investigation or not.”

The CFNIS investigates criminal cases as well as serious offences under the military’s disciplinary code.

It is currently investigating Vance following a Global News report last month alleging the former chief of the defence staff had an ongoing relationship with a subordinate starting in 2001 and which continued after he was named defence chief in 2015.

He is also alleged to have sent a lewd email to a much more junior service member in 2012.

The allegations against Vance have not been independently verified and he has declined repeated requests from The Canadian Press for comment. However, Global has reported that he denies any wrongdoing.

The CFNIS is also investigating Vance’s successor, Admiral Art McDonald, who temporarily stepped aside last month after only a few weeks as commander of the Canadian Armed Forces following an unspecified allegation of misconduct. McDonald has not commented on the allegation.

Leblanc would not comment on any specific investigations, though he did confirm that his unit was not asked to investigate what a former member of Stephen Harper’s Conservative government described as a “rumour” about Vance before he was named defence chief in 2015.

Ray Novak, who served as Harper’s chief of staff at that time, said the rumour related to a relationship that Vance was alleged to have had with a subordinate in CFB Gagetown starting in 2001. He said the matter was investigated by the Privy Council Office.

The Conservatives have in opposition been attacking Sajjan for referring the allegation flagged by Walbourne to the PCO, the department that supports the Prime Minister’s Office.

Leblanc also acknowledged having heard Sajjan’s order that the military revisit a Navy-led investigation into an alleged incident involving a comment that was made about a female naval officer’s “red room” during a group video call that some interpreted as a sexual reference.

However, he added, “nothing has been referred to my unit for investigation at this time.”

Lick used his appearance before the committee to again bang the drum on the need for real independent oversight over the military, echoing statements made to The Canadian Press last month about how his office does not fit that bill.

“We have been making the argument for full independence since our creation, but there has been no political will to act,” he said.

“The issue of sexual misconduct is an unfortunate illustration of how constituents fall between the cracks of a closed system with no fully independent recourse mechanisms.”

The committee also heard from retired Supreme Court justice Marie Deschamps, whose explosive report on sexual misconduct in the ranks in 2015 launched the military’s current efforts to address the problem.

Underscoring the importance of strong leadership in eliminating sexual misconduct, Deschamps said: “The years that passed only made it more difficult to restore the trust in the leadership. I can only hope the new leaders will have understood the situation and will rise to the challenge.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 25, 2021.

Lee Berthiaume, The Canadian Press

Military

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Red Deer Rebels forward Arshdeep Bains eyes a loose puck in front of the Medicine Hat Tigers net Saturday night in WHL action at the Centrium. (Photo by ROB WALLATOR/Red Deer Rebels)
Rebels fall short in 12th straight loss

Tigers 5 Rebels 2 (Saturday) Tigers 3 Rebels 2 (Monday) The Red… Continue reading

Red Deer property owners will receive their 2019 property assessment notices in the next few days.  (File photo by Advocate staff)
Red Deer awaiting more details on how federal budget impacts city

The City of Red Deer is awaiting more information on how much… Continue reading

With a ban on sit-in dining once again in place, Las Palmeras owner Andre Lemus is gearing up for more takeout and delivery business. He has also applied to set up an outdoor patio, where dining is allowed under new restrictions. Photo by PAUL COWLEY/Advocate staff
Big interest in outdoor patios in Red Deer as sit-down dining banned again

City of Red Deer has tweaked its patio regulations to make it easier to get a permit

A vial of the Medicago vaccine sits on a surface. CARe Clinic, located in Red Deer, has been selected to participate in the third phase of vaccine study. (Photo courtesy www.medicago.com)
Red Deer clinical research centre participating in plant-based COVID-19 vaccine trial

A Red Deer research centre has been selected to participate in the… Continue reading

Ottawa Senators' Connor Brown, right, scores on Calgary Flames goalie Jacob Markstrom during second-period NHL hockey action in Calgary, Alta., Monday, April 19, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Connor Brown scores twice for Ottawa Senators in 4-2 win over Calgary Flames

Connor Brown scores twice for Ottawa Senators in 4-2 win over Calgary Flames

Canada head coach Bev Priestman reacts during the women's international friendly soccer match between England and Canada at Bet365 stadium in Stoke on Trent, England, Tuesday, April 13, 2021. Priestman says her goal is to help Canada move up the Olympic podium after back-to-back bronze medals at the 2012 and 2016 Games. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP/Rui Vieira
Olympic soccer draw will allow Canadians to start planning on and off the pitch

Olympic soccer draw will allow Canadians to start planning on and off the pitch

Federal government’s extension of CEWS in budget is some good news for CFL franchises

Federal government’s extension of CEWS in budget is some good news for CFL franchises

Canada's Brendan Bottcher dropped a 6-3 decision to Scotland's Bruce Mouat in the men's final of the Humpty's Champions Cup. Bottcher makes a shot against Scotland at the Men's World Curling Championships in Calgary, Alta., Friday, April 9, 2021.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Mixed results for Canadian teams at Champions Cup as Homan wins, Bottcher loses

Mixed results for Canadian teams at Champions Cup as Homan wins, Bottcher loses

University of Victoria rowing coach Barney Williams is photographed in the stands during the Greater Victoria Invitational at CARSA Performance Gym at the University of Victoria in Victoria, B.C., on Friday, November 29, 2019. The University of Victoria says Williams has resigned effective immediately. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
University of Victoria women’s rowing coach resigns by mutual agreement

University of Victoria women’s rowing coach resigns by mutual agreement

Stewart Cink watches his drive down the second fairway during the final round of the RBC Heritage golf tournament in Hilton Head Island, S.C., Sunday, April 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Stephen B. Morton)
Cink coasts to win at Hilton Head for 2nd title of season

Cink coasts to win at Hilton Head for 2nd title of season

The Official UEFA Champions League match balls are on display ahead of the Champions League quarter final second leg soccer match between Liverpool and Real Madrid at Anfield stadium in Liverpool, England, Wednesday, April 14, 2021. (AP Photo/Jon Super)
Threats of expulsion as UEFA confronts Super League rebel 12

Threats of expulsion as UEFA confronts Super League rebel 12

San Jose Sharks center Patrick Marleau (12) motions to the crowd during a break to mark his passing Gordie Howe for most NHL games played in the first period of an NHL hockey game Monday, April 19, 2021, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher)
Sharks’ Marleau breaks Howe’s NHL games played record

Sharks’ Marleau breaks Howe’s NHL games played record

Most Read