Paramedic tells Oland trial police waited more than a year to take his statement

A paramedic who responded to Richard Oland's office the day the well-known businessman was found dead has testified at a murder trial in New Brunswick that police didn't take his statement until more than a year after the fact.

SAINT JOHN, N.B. — A paramedic who responded to Richard Oland’s office the day the well-known businessman was found dead has testified at a murder trial in New Brunswick that police didn’t take his statement until more than a year after the fact.

Philias Comeau told the Court of Queen’s Bench in Saint John today that he and his partner got a call before 9 a.m. on July 7, 2011, about someone with a wound and trauma.

Upon entering Oland’s office building on Canterbury Street in Saint John, Comeau testified that a police officer stuck his head out of Oland’s office to say the paramedics didn’t need to bring any gear with them.

Comeau says he noticed a strong odour as he approached the office.

“I call it the odour of death,” he said.

Comeau says Oland’s body was lying in a large pool of blood and rigor mortis had set in.

He described the 69-year-old’s injuries as “incompatible for life.”

The Crown has told the jury that Oland was killed in a violent outburst that resulted in 40 blows to his head and neck.

Under cross examination by defence lawyer Gary Miller, Comeau said he wasn’t contacted by the police for a statement until November 2012.

Miller asked if police would normally seek a statement much sooner. Comeau said “yes.”

Oland’s son Dennis has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder in the high-profile case.

A police officer who also testified this morning echoed the comments of witnesses from earlier in the week who described a strong odour and a bloody crime scene in Richard Oland’s office.

Const. Don Shannon of the Saint John Police Force told Crown attorney Patrick Wilbur he assisted with an article search of the area, checking along buildings, in grass, under cars and a construction area down the street.

Shannon said he was looking for anything that could have been involved in the incident at the office including blood, clothing or a weapon, but found nothing during the hour-long search.

Just Posted

Break-in at Red Deer business

Social media reports confirm a business break and enter in Red Deer… Continue reading

‘Rough waters’: Spill raises new questions about fast-growing N.L. oil industry

ST. JOHN’S, N.L. — Newfoundland and Labrador’s ambitious plans to dramatically expand… Continue reading

Trudeau rules out snap election call, national ballot slated for Oct. 21

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says there will be no early… Continue reading

Canadian firm says it has found largest diamond ever unearthed in North America

YELLOWKNIFE — A Canadian mining firm says it has unearthed the largest… Continue reading

Man from Olds killed in collision near Sundre

A 39-year-old man from Olds was killed in a collision near Sundre… Continue reading

WATCH: More than 100 protest UN migration pact, carbon tax in Red Deer

Chants of “Trudeau must go” echoed through the streets of downtown Red… Continue reading

Man who demolished landmark house ordered to build replica

SAN FRANCISCO — A man who illegally demolished a San Francisco house… Continue reading

Giuliani: ‘Over my dead body’ will Mueller interview Trump

WASHINGTON — With a number of probes moving closer to the Oval… Continue reading

Quebecers criticize western oil but buying more gasoline, SUVs, bigger homes: report

MONTREAL — Quebec’s premier is quick to reject “dirty” oil from Western… Continue reading

Speaker Geoff Regan opens the door to his apartment in Parliament

OTTAWA — One of the best-kept secrets inside the main building on… Continue reading

Baloo the cat is back at home after being mistakenly shipped to Montreal

HALIFAX — Much to the relief of his loving family, Baloo the… Continue reading

‘It’s what we do’: Famous Newfoundlanders help replace veteran’s stolen guitar

ST. JOHN’S, N.L. — Two famous Newfoundlanders stepped in to help an… Continue reading

Quebec’s anti-corruption unit blames media coverage for recruiting troubles

MONTREAL — Seven years after it was created, Quebec’s anti-corruption unit is… Continue reading

Former PQ cabinet minister poised to become next Bloc Quebecois leader

MONTREAL — It appears likely that Yves-Francois Blanchet, a former Parti Quebecois… Continue reading

Most Read