Skip to content

Penhold multiplex evacuated after small fire

Fire was traced to a smouldering cigarette butt outside building
32486085_web1_230420-rda-penhold-fire-fire_2

A smouldering cigarette butt caused a small fire that led to the evacuation of Penhold Multiplex on Monday.

About 3 p.m. Monday, Penhold Volunteer Fire Department responded to alarms ringing at the multiplex.

The building had been evacuated by municipal staff prior to the fire department arriving on scene.

Firefighters found a smouldering fire in the electrical room. The small fire was traced to “inappropriately disposed of smoking materials on the exterior of the building.”

Fire Capt. Warren Kitteringham reminds everyone to “be sure to dispose of cigarettes appropriately and

ensure they are out. Conditions are dry and with a little wind, things can get out of control quickly.”

Three fire vehicles and 12 firefighters responded to the alarm.



News tips

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter



Paul Cowley

About the Author: Paul Cowley

Paul grew up in Brampton, Ont. and began his journalism career in 1990 at the Alaska Highway News in Fort. St. John, B.C.
Read more