Penhold Multiplex evacuated

More than 100 people were evacuated from Penhold Multiplex on Saturday morning when a malfunctioning kitchen fan caused smoke to build up, triggering fire alarms.

More than 100 people were evacuated from Penhold Multiplex on Saturday morning when a malfunctioning kitchen fan caused smoke to build up, triggering fire alarms.

The incident happened about 10:15 a.m. Emergency crews were on scene within five minutes.

A mechanical failure in a kitchen exhaust fan on the roof was identified as the cause of the problem that sent light smoke into the lobby. The fan was fixed and firefighters placed fans at the front entrance to clear the smoke.

Hockey and basketball players, spectators, library and fitness area users and other visitors were evacuated and had to wait outside until the all clear was given after about an hour.

There were no injuries.