Pesticide likely killed two Quebec sisters in Thailand in 2012: coroner

A Quebec coroner has concluded that two sisters found dead in their hotel room in Thailand in 2012 were probably intoxicated by phosphine, a strong pesticide.

RIVIERE-DU-LOUP, Que. — A Quebec coroner has concluded that two sisters found dead in their hotel room in Thailand in 2012 were probably intoxicated by phosphine, a strong pesticide.

The same pesticide was also believed to have been responsible for the recent deaths of two children in northern Alberta.

Coroner Renee Roussel said Monday the fact Audrey, 20, and Noemi Belanger, 26, were both very sick and appeared to have the same symptoms led her to conclude they suffered the same health problem — intoxication.

Roussel’s report describes phosphine as a pesticide that “kills everything that lives, everything that breathes.”

She said it is officially forbidden to use phosphine to fumigate hotel rooms in Thailand, but that it might in fact still be used.

No trace of phosphine was found in the women’s blood or their vital organs.

The parents of the two women attended a news conference in Riviere-du-Loup, Que., where Roussel released her report.

The coroner said they wanted to be present “to turn the page and to continue their grieving in private.”

The sisters were from Pohenegamook, in Quebec’s Lower St. Lawrence region.

Roussel said autopsies conducted in Bangkok four days after the deaths indicated there were no traces of violence or trauma on the bodies, but it was evident that the two had been vomiting.

Pathologists in Thailand concluded that, based on samples taken from the sisters’ hotel room, the insect repellent DEET was responsible for their deaths.

But Roussel disagreed with that conclusion. She said the concentration of DEET noted in a Thai report was not toxic or deadly.

A Canadian government website says registered insect repellents containing DEET can be used safely when applied as directed.

In Alberta, a toxicologist has suggested phosphine gas was responsible for the deaths of an eight-month-old girl and a two-year-old boy in Fort McMurray. RCMP and fire officials said a woman took her five children to the hospital after they started vomiting.

One official said the family had recently brought a type of aluminum phosphide back from Pakistan and the tablets were placed around their apartment, particularly in one bedroom, to try to kill bed bugs.

But at one point, the mother vacuumed the home and disturbed the pellets, causing them to break down and get into the air.

Just Posted

Climate change’s impact on outdoor hockey discussed in Red Deer

Red Deer River Watershed Alliance held a forum Friday at the Alberta Sports Hall of Fame

Collision between Red Deer transit bus and truck investigated by RCMP

No one on bus was hurt, truck driver had minor injuries

Eckville man facing about 80 child sexual exploitation charges in court

More than half a million photos and videos found on electronic devices

Good-bye ice and snow, hello potholes on Red Deer roads

City workers will be spending 20 hours a day on various road repairs

Red Deer woman wins $1 million in lottery

A Red Deer woman spent $5 on a lottery ticket and became… Continue reading

WATCH: Fashion show highlights Cree designers

The fashion show was part of a Samson Cree Nation conference on MMIW

Puddle splashing: A rite of spring

Is there anything more fun than driving through water-filled potholes in the… Continue reading

Special evaluations can help seniors cope with cancer care

Before she could start breast cancer treatment, Nancy Simpson had to walk… Continue reading

Home renovator Mike Holmes oversees reno for paralyzed Humboldt Broncos player

AIRDRIE, Alta. — One of Canada’s most recognizable home renovators has acted… Continue reading

The endless war against invasive species

Group looks to protect native ecological environments in Alberta

WATCH: Fashion show highlights Cree designers

The fashion show was part of a Samson Cree Nation conference on MMIW

Flyers, Blackhawks, Sabres and Lightning to Europe in ‘19-20

Jakub Voracek was psyched at the mere suggestion the Philadelphia Flyers might… Continue reading

Danish receiver Nielsen looking to defy the odds again, this time at CFL combine

TORONTO — He’s coming to the CFL’s national combine as a definite… Continue reading

Mom with kids on YouTube channel suspected of child abuse

MARICOPA, Ariz. — A woman who operated a popular YouTube channel featuring… Continue reading

Most Read