Red Deer RCMP are looking for suspects who broke into an Oriole Park home and stole 14 firearms and a pet corn snake on Jan. 29.
Police were called to the home shortly after 6:30 p.m. after the residents discovered the break-in, which is believed to have occurred between 3 and 4 p.m. that day.
The unknown thief or thieves stole approximately 14 firearms, an iPad and the victims’ pet corn snake.
Red Deer RCMP Cpl. Karyn Kay said they cannot confirm at this time if the break-in was targeted due to the presence of firearms or not because the criminals stole other items besides the guns.
“The firearms were appropriately licensed and stored, and were owned by hobbyists, but it’s always a concern when firearms make their way into the hands of criminals, as happened in this case,” she said.
Const. Sean Morris said although the number of firearms stolen is high, but people are allowed to own firearms as long as they are licenced and stored properly.
Morris hasn’t seen a lot of cases where pets have been taken, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.
The pet corn snake was approximately five to six feet long.
Rachel Hydomako, Petland stock manager in Red Deer, said the type of snake is very common, and is worth about a couple hundred dollars, depending on the colouring of the snake.
RCMP remind the public that it is a crime to purchase an item they believe is stolen property. Purchasing stolen property rewards criminal activity and contributes to increased property theft and linked crimes including stolen vehicles, drugs, weapons and violent crimes.
Stolen firearms include:
- Glock 17, 9 mm, Serial #UMS399; numerous after-market features
- Glock 22, .40 calibre, Serial #SML029; after-market features include a light and a factory extended magazine release
- Glock 23 Generation 3, .40 calibre, Serial #XUV155; after-market features include a light, night sights and a Vickers tactical magazine release
- Heckler and Koch USP 40 Custom Sport, .40 calibre, Serial #22088700; after-market feature: Dawson precision fiber optic competition sights.
- Spikes Tactical custom AR15 build, 5.56 mm, Serial #JKR2048
- Beretta 92F with custom rubber grips; Serial #: D49166Z
- Two Stevens 12 gauge shotguns with wooden stocks and muzzle brakes
- Stevens 32 single shot Rimfire rife
- Henry 22 lever action rifle w/3×9 scope
- Lakefield 22 bolt action rifle w/3×9 scope
- Two Lakefield 22 repeater rifles
- Winchester 22 repeater rifle
If you have information about this investigation or see any of these items for sale, contact the Red Deer RCMP at 403-343-5575. If you wish to remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or report it online at www.tipsubmit.com.