Plains of Abraham event to include FLQ manifesto

Organizers of a spoken-word event planned for the anniversary of the battle of the Plains of Abraham demanded a public apology Saturday from the provincial minister responsible for Quebec’s capital region,

MONTREAL — Organizers of a spoken-word event planned for the anniversary of the battle of the Plains of Abraham demanded a public apology Saturday from the provincial minister responsible for Quebec’s capital region,

The organizers have taken issue with Sam Hamad over his accusations they are being apologists for terrorism by including reading the Front de liberation du Quebec’s manifesto in their performance.

“When you accuse someone of fomenting violence, it’s serious,” said artistic director Brigitte Haentjens, one of four volunteer planners for the show.

“This team is profoundly insulted by the comments and we’re asking for a public apology.”

On Friday, the Quebec government chastised organizers for including the FLQ document in the 24-hour performance.

“This is far from poetry,” Hamad said on Friday. “The FLQ for me, the memories I have are of assassinations, of bombs.”

He said the government would have nothing to do with the event, to be held Sept. 12-13 on the Plains of Abraham in Quebec City.

The manifesto is but one of 140 texts — from Canada’s national anthem and works by Mordecai Richler and Leonard Cohen to Quebec poetry, songs and recipes and even aboriginal literature — that will be read aloud during the performance, dubbed ’Moulin a paroles,’ or ’chatterbox’ in English.

Quebec entertainers, artists and politicians are expected to take part, including ex-premier Bernard Landry and Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe.

Descendents of the generals in the battle — Britain’s James Wolfe and France’s Louis-Joseph de Montcalm of France — will read letters from their ancestors.

Haentjens also slammed the government for attempting to curb artistic liberty, calling it “a form of censorship.”

“The Moulin is a hundred readers, a hundred voices that will resonate louder than those of the censors,” she told the media at a news conference Saturday.

“This event is a reflection of our history and the manifesto is part of our history. No one from outside will tell us what to include.”

The FLQ, which conducted bombing campaigns and kidnappings in support of Quebec independence, triggered a national panic with the October crisis of 1970.

Its manifesto — a lengthy left-wing screed against the ills of capitalism, sprinkled with several denunciations of English dominance over francophone Quebecers — was read over the airwaves of the CBC French-language service as a condition for the release of kidnapped British trade official James Cross.

But Alexandre Boucher, Hamad’s press secretary, said Saturday that Hamad stood behind his comments and had no plans to issue an apology.

“The minister’s position is clear and hasn’t changed,” he told The Canadian Press.

Haentjens refused to drop the tract from the schedule despite the fact the event will likely lose the government subsidies organizers had applied for.

This is only the latest controversy surrounding the anniversary of the historic Plains battle.

The show marking the 250th anniversary was meant to replace a planned re-enactment that was cancelled by federal officials, who cited protests and security concerns.

Just Posted

Blood donations needed in Central Alberta: Canadian Blood Services

357 donors are needed before Aug. 26 at the Red Deer clinic

UPDATED: Red Deer air quality risk rated high

Poor air quality and reduced visibility

Ponoka liquor store robbed

One suspect charged so far

Women’s Outreach looking for school supplies for low income Central Albertans

With the back-to-school season upon us, Women’s Outreach is looking to the… Continue reading

Red Deerian spreads kindness with one card at a time

One Red Deerian wants to combat bullying by spreading kindness in the… Continue reading

WATCH: Annual Family Picnic at Central Spray and Play

Blue Grass Sod Farms Ltd. held the Annual Family Picnic at the… Continue reading

B.C. declares state of emergency over wildfires

VICTORIA — The British Columbia government has declared a provincial state of… Continue reading

As service refusals make headlines, experts say businesses usually in the wrong

Two Canadian businesses that recently made headlines for refusing customers have learned… Continue reading

Irregular asylum claims increased in July after two months of decline

OTTAWA — The number of irregular border crossers in Canada went up… Continue reading

Knocking down statues no way to address a troubled history, McKenna says

OTTAWA — The minister responsible for Parks Canada says tearing down statues… Continue reading

Turning on Trump doesn’t buy credibility for black Americans

WASHINGTON — For years, Omarosa Manigault Newman stood at Donald Trump’s side,… Continue reading

Senior Chinese monk accused of sexual misconduct quits post

BEIJING — One of China’s most high-profile Buddhist monks has resigned from… Continue reading

Priests molested 1,000 children in Pennsylvania, report says

HARRISBURG, Pa. — A priest raped a 7-year-old girl while he was… Continue reading

Death toll hits 39 in Italy bridge collapse; blame begins

GENOA, Italy — Italian emergency workers pulled two more bodies out of… Continue reading

Most Read


Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $185 for 260 issues (must live in delivery area to qualify) Unlimited Digital Access 99 cents for the first four weeks and then only $15 per month Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $15 a month