PMO knew existence of allegations against Vance, not specifics, in 2018: Trudeau

PMO knew existence of allegations against Vance, not specifics, in 2018: Trudeau

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his staff knew about the existence of an allegation of sexual misconduct by then-defence chief Gen. Jonathan Vance in 2018, but that they only learned the specific details following a media report last month.

The prime minister made the comments in the House of Commons on Wednesday following weeks of questions and opposition criticism over the Liberal government’s handling of the allegations against the former Canadian Armed Forces commander.

It was the first time Trudeau has confirmed that his own office was brought into the loop after then-military ombudsman Gary Walbourne first flagged an allegation against Vance in a meeting with Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan three years ago.

Sajjan previously declined to confirm the discussion with Walbourne, citing confidentiality.

“When the ombudsman came forward to the minister to say he had heard allegations, the minister directed him to those independent authorities who could follow up on an investigation,” Trudeau said.

“My office was aware of the minister’s direction to the ombudsman, but my office and I learned of the details of the allegation through news reporting over the past months.”

Global News first reported last month an allegation that Vance had an ongoing relationship with a subordinate that started more than a decade ago and continued after he became Canada’s chief of the defence staff in 2015.

Global has also reported that Vance allegedly sent a lewd email to a much younger soldier in 2012, before he became defence chief, suggesting they go on a clothing-optional vacation. Global has reported this is the allegation Walbourne raised with Sajjan.

Vance has declined to respond to repeated requests for comment from The Canadian Press, and the allegations have not been independently verified. However, Global has reported that Vance denies any wrongdoing.

Walbourne told the House of Commons defence committee last week that he brought the allegation to Sajjan in confidence looking for advice on how to proceed, and that the minister referred the matter to the Privy Council Office against his wishes.

Trudeau argued referring the matter to the Privy Council Office, the bureaucratic operation that supports the Prime Minister’s Office, was the right call, saying: “Those are the people who need to do the independent, rigorous investigations.”

“In this case, there was not enough information to continue with the independent investigation.”

Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole demanded to know why the government opted to keep Vance on as commander of the Canadian Armed Forces despite knowing of an allegation of sexual misconduct against him.

“Everyone around this prime minister was aware of the sexual harassment allegations in 2018,” O’Toole said. “Why in 2019 did the prime minister extend the contract of the chief of defence staff and give them a promotion?”

Military police have confirmed they launched an investigation in 2015 into Vance’s conduct during a posting in Italy the previous year, but that there was not enough evidence to lay any charges.

O’Toole was a cabinet minister in the Conservative government that appointed Vance as chief of defence staff in 2015, but said Tuesday he wasn’t involved in that decision.

Vance announced his plan to step down as chief of the defence staff last July after more than five years in the top job, during which time he oversaw the military’s efforts to eliminate sexual misconduct from the ranks.

He formally handed command over to Admiral Art McDonald in January, weeks before Global reported on the allegations against him.

Military police have since launched investigations against both Vance and McDonald, who temporarily stepped aside last month following an unspecified allegation of misconduct against him.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 10, 2021.

Lee Berthiaume, The Canadian Press

Military

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Premier Jason Kenney announced $200 million more money that will benefit seniors living in continuing care on Wednesday. (photography by Chris Schwarz/Government of Alberta)
Alberta’s in-school rapid screening test program expanding

Alberta’s in-school rapid screening test program will expand to as many as… Continue reading

Parents and students learned Tuesday what the coming school year will look like. It's pretty much back to business as usual, said Education Minister Adriana LaGrange. School precautions include frequent cleaning, keeping students in the same groups where possible, planning the school day to allow for physical distancing and staying home when sick. (photography by Chris Schwarz/Government of Alberta)
Alberta’s largest school board says no to United Conservative draft school curriculum

CALGARY — Alberta’s largest school board says it will not use the… Continue reading

Cowboy Kicks, originally scheduled for May 5, will now take place Sept. 18. (Contributed photo)
Westerner Park’s Cowboy Kicks fundraiser moved to Sept. 18

A major fundraiser for Westerner Park and the Canadian Pro Rodeo Sport… Continue reading

Red Deer Rebels forward Josh Tarzwell tries to tip a point shot past Lethbridge Hurricanes goalie Car Tetachuk in WHL action Friday night at the Centrium. (Photo by ROB WALLATOR/Red Deer Rebels)
Red Deer Rebels struggles continue, drop seventh straight to Hurricanes

Hurricanes score three power-play goals in 6-3 win

Downtown Red Deer patio restaurants have been busy this summer. Contributed photo
City of Red Deer expediting patio application process for restaurants

The City of Red Deer is allowing businesses to install patios prior… Continue reading

Red Deer-South MLA Jason Stephan is among those who have signed an open letter criticizing the government’s return to stricter health measures. (Advocate file photo).
Updated: Kenney tells UCP caucus COVID-19 dissent OK, breaking health rules means expulsion

15 MLAs released letter on Wednesday critical of new health restrictions

Owner of 4 Point Taekwondo Kevin Mejia holds a board as organizer and martial artist Kevin Olsen breaks it in Edmonton on Friday, April 9, 2021. One hundred martial artists from around the world, will be breaking a board for an event called "Break for a Breakthrough." The idea is for martial artists to unite and re-engage with the arts because they may have drifted away or lost enthusiasm as a result of the pandemic. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
Break for a Breakthrough: Canadian hosts international martial arts demonstration

EDMONTON — Whether he’s breaking a wooden board, a clay tile, cement… Continue reading

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip, Duke of Ediburgh, left, look on as Manitoba Beaver peaks out of his box at a July 14, 1970 ceremony in which Hudson's Bay Company observed an old tradition. The death of Prince Philip has reminded a small French village in Manitoban about how a royal visit half a century ago made the community the centre of frog racing in Canada. THE CANADIAN PRESS
Prince Philip’s frog-jumping legacy in a Manitoba French community

WINNIPEG — The death of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, has reminded… Continue reading

The Yukon provincial flag flies on a flag pole in Ottawa, Monday July 6, 2020. Yukon residents will head to the polls on Monday for Canada's fourth election held during the COVID-19 pandemic. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Yukon residents set to vote in fourth election held in Canada during pandemic

WHITEHORSE — Yukon residents will head to the polls on Monday for… Continue reading

Conservative leader Erin O'Toole holds a press conference on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Tuesday, April 6, 2020. Top Tory leaders of past and present will speak with supporters today about what a conservative economic recovery from COVID-19 could look like. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
O’Toole, former PM Harper speak on ‘build back right’ for pandemic recovery

OTTAWA — Top Tory leaders of the past and present will speak… Continue reading

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau holds a press conference in Ottawa Tuesday, March 9, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Liberals set to debate universal basic income, pharmacare, OAS hike

OTTAWA — Grassroots Liberals have taken up Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s call… Continue reading

Students enter the Pierre Laporte Secondary School as secondary school students return to class full time during the COVID-19 pandemic in Montreal, Monday, March 29, 2021. Pandemic-fuelled frustration has some teens expressing anger in unhealthy ways after a year of missed social connections that would typically help them mature and regulate their emotions, says a psychiatrist calling for more education on coping skills as part of the school curriculum. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson
Teach students coping skills to deal with anger, including during pandemic: doctor

Pandemic-fuelled frustration has some teens expressing anger in unhealthy ways after a… Continue reading

In this file photo, a lotto Max ticket is shown in Toronto on Monday Feb. 26, 2018. (By THE CANADIAN PRESS)
No winning ticket for Friday’s $25 million Lotto Max jackpot

TORONTO — No winning ticket was sold for the $25 million jackpot… Continue reading

jobs - T - 3-6-2020
Finding a job: 3 job search truisms you need to accept

A job search has many moving parts; your mindset is the most… Continue reading

Most Read