Police searching for suspect after shooting at Toronto Raptors rally

Toronto police are still looking for a suspect after Monday’s shooting that sent dozens scurrying for cover during a celebration for the Raptors’ historic NBA win.

Police Chief Mark Saunders said three people were arrested and charged with firearm-related offences following the incident, which sent four to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

He said police had recovered two guns related to the shooting and were still looking for a third firearm as the investigation continued.

“Our hope is to get everybody that was involved in this incident to bring them before the judicial system, so we are not near where we want to be right now,” he told reporters on Tuesday.

“We are looking for a firearm that we know was definitely shot at that location.”

The incident happened at 3:45 p.m. at Nathan Phillips Square, where over a million people had been waiting for hours to greet the new NBA champions at the end of a victory parade.

The team and a several dignitaries, including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Ontario Premier Doug Ford, were on stage when the sound of gunfire sent dozens of panicked fans running for safety, grabbing friends and children as they fled. The ceremony wrapped up a short time later.

On Tuesday, Toronto Mayor John Tory thanked first responders for their swift actions following the shooting.

“We saw millions of people come out to celebrate our team and the championship,” he said. “We saw the best of our city and then there was a scary moment where police acted immediately to deal with.”

Saunders said police are looking for a suspect described as a male with a heavy build, around five-foot-nine, short brown hair and wearing a white shirt. He also urged witnesses or anyone else with information on the shooting to come forward.

“You can’t have two million people in that same space and say nobody saw anything,” he said.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

One new COVID-19 case confirmed for Red Deer

Red Deer has one new confirmed case of COVID-19, which brings the… Continue reading

Red Deer Catholic Regional Schools reveals three-phase layoff plan

Red Deer Catholic Regional Schools has announced a three-phase layoff process after… Continue reading

A message from the Advocate publisher

In good times and bad, The Red Deer Advocate has been here… Continue reading

RDSO’s April concert is pushed back into the fall

No decisions yet on what will happen to the June 5 finale

Hospital parking fees suspended during COVID-19 pandemic

Alberta Health Services has been directed to temporarily suspend parking fees during… Continue reading

Alberta Health Services provides COVID-19 prevention tips

Alberta Health Services has a number of recommendations for people amid the… Continue reading

Alberta government website has latest COVID-19 statistics

Red Deer Advocate readers can stay up to date on the COVID-19… Continue reading

States demand ventilators as feds ration limited supply

States demand ventilators as feds ration limited supply

Economic fallout mounts, worldwide cases top 1 million

Economic fallout mounts, worldwide cases top 1 million

26 infected with coronavirus at Mexico hospital; doctor dead

26 infected with coronavirus at Mexico hospital; doctor dead

Canada, NATO allies discuss COVID-19 response in face of world security issues

Canada, NATO allies discuss COVID-19 response in face of world security issues

Passengers on COVID-19-stricken cruise ships hope to be on land again soon

Passengers on COVID-19-stricken cruise ships hope to be on land again soon

Trudeau rejects mandatory stay-at-home order for now; COVID deaths up

Trudeau rejects mandatory stay-at-home order for now; COVID deaths up

Most Read