Public asked to help ID dead man linked to alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur

TORONTO — Investigators working on the case of alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur released a photo of a dead man Monday, a rare move Toronto police hope will help identify someone they believe to be another victim of the 66-year-old landscaper facing six murder charges.

The photo — a headshot of a bearded middle-aged man with his eyes partially shut — was released at a news conference where the lead detective announced police had found the remains of a seventh individual linked to McArthur.

Det. Sgt. Hank Idsinga said investigators believe the man was dead when the picture was taken, but refused to say when or how they obtained the photograph.

“I do not want to release this picture and am doing so as a last resort,” said Idsinga. ”It’s obviously a key piece of evidence that we have that we are releasing, but we do feel that by releasing we will identify him and close off that area of investigation.”

Idsinga said the photo was released after police exhausted all other avenues to identify the man.

“I would also ask the media to be mindful that by broadcasting this picture a family member or friend not realizing that their loved one is deceased may come to that realization the moment they view that picture … we need to put a name to his face and bring closure to this man’s loved ones.”

All six men allegedly killed by McArthur had disappeared from Toronto’s gay village or had ties to the city’s LGBTQ community.

Idsinga said the latest unidentified remains were recovered from a planter at a Toronto property where McArthur worked as a landscaper and where the remains of the six alleged victims had been found.

Investigators didn’t initially realize they had seven sets of remains in their possession, he said.

“I can’t really get into specifics about why we didn’t realize there were seven remains there, but we had the planters several weeks ago,” Idsinga said.

McArthur was arrested in January and charged with the murders of Andrew Kinsman and Selim Esen, who went missing from Toronto’s gay village in 2017. Later that month, McArthur was charged with the first-degree murder of Majeed Kayhan, Soroush Mahmudi, and Dean Lisowick. In February, he was also charged in the death of Skandaraj Navaratnam.

Idsinga said there was evidence pointing to a cause of death in at least some of the cases, but wouldn’t elaborate.

So far, police have only identified three of the sets of remains recovered — those of Kinsman, 49, Mahmudi, 50, and Navaratnam, 40.

“We still have four sets of unidentified remains,” Idsinga said. ”We’ve gone through fingerprints and dental records and we’re now into the DNA process.”

The detective was joined at the news conference by Dr. Michael Pollanen, the chief forensic pathologist for the province, to explain the scope of the investigation.

“This is a unique investigation in the history of our organization,” Pollanen said. “It is drawing on the talents and expertise of essentially everyone in the organization.”


Photo by THE CANADIAN PRESS Det. Hank Idsinga, lead investigator in the case against alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur, stands with a photo of an unidentified man, suspected of being another of McArthur’s victims, during a news conference at Toronto Police headquarters on Monday.

Just Posted

Fog advisory in place for Central Alberta

Near-zero visibility possible

Art Battle Red Deer to support Women of Excellence Awards

Art Battle Red Deer will be April 6 at the Radisson Hotel

Eliminating racial discrimination events in Red Deer this week

Two upcoming events aim to inspire change and eliminate racial discrimination in… Continue reading

Outfitter facing Wildlife Act charges

It is alleged archery-only hunting licences used out of season

Sunnybrook pies in demand

Just in time for Easter

WATCH: Red Deerians can have a say about crime fighting

Municipality will poll citizens about policing priorities

Austin bombing suspect blows himself up as SWAT moves in

ROUND ROCK, Texas — The suspect in the deadly bombings that terrorized… Continue reading

Liberal firearms bill attacked by both gun owners and shooting victims

OTTAWA — The federal government tabled a proposed new bill Tuesday to… Continue reading

No opting out: Canadians to get emergency alerts on their phones soon

TORONTO — Canada’s wireless providers are preparing for a looming update to… Continue reading

Union leader says Alberta EMS system ‘broken’, not enough paramedics, ambulances

CALGARY — A union leader says government data shows Alberta does not… Continue reading

21-year-old charged with drug trafficking in Rocky Mountain House

RCMP seized drugs after conducting a traffic stop and charged a 21-year-old… Continue reading

Liberal bill would tighten controls on sale, licensing of firearms

OTTAWA — Gun retailers would be required to keep records of firearms… Continue reading

Alberta factoring in Trans Mountain pipeline in budget forecasts

EDMONTON — Finance Minister Joe Ceci says Alberta will rely on anticipated… Continue reading

Pooches and pickup truck stolen in Edmonton found in Rimbey

Two old English bulldogs named Rocky and Jersey who were in a… Continue reading

Most Read

Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $185 for 260 issues (must live in delivery area to qualify) Unlimited Digital Access 99 cents for the first four weeks and then only $15 per month Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $15 a month