The Red Deer Public School District is expanding its kindergarten full-day programs and also making it easier for parents to register their children in kindergarten.
Next week parents will be able to register their kindergarten-age children online for the next school year. Parents can still register in person if they choose. The online and in-person registration starts at 8:15 a.m. on Monday.
For online registration, parents should go to the district or specific school website and click on Student Registration under quick links.
As well for September 2017 more schools will offer full-day kindergarten. Rather than going to morning or afternoon classes five days a week, the full-day option has students attending classes all day Monday and Wednesday as well as alternating Fridays or Tuesday and Thursdays and alternating Fridays throughout the year.
This option will be available as follows:
- Annie L. Gaetz Elementary – full day and half day options
- Barrie Wilson Elementary – English program only offering full and half day options;
- Don Campbell Elementary – full day only
- Gateway Christian – full day only
- Mattie McCullough Elementary – full days, with option of half days if enough interest
- Oriole Park Elementary – English, full days only
In addition to English kindergarten program, families will also have the choice of language options for kindergarten including French and Spanish offered at:
- French Immersion: Barrie Wilson, Mountview, Oriole Park
- Spanish Bilingual: Escuela Vista Grande (former Grandview Elementary)
The district also has pre-kindergarten programming for eligible children age three and four years with identified special needs. Information is available at elementary schools or by contacting Student Services at 403-342-3703.