Puerto Ricans try to forge movement to oust governor

Puerto Ricans try to forge movement to oust governor

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — Cruise passengers drifted through the streets of Old San Juan Thursday as shop owners took plywood down from store windows and painted over graffiti demanding Gov. Ricardo Rosselló resign.

On a colonial plaza behind the governor’s mansion, a small group of men and women laid out the shoes of people who died in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria, each decorated with a blue flower.

The shoes were first laid out on the steps of the U.S. territory’s capitol last year as a protest against government refusal to acknowledge the premature deaths of thousands of people due to the damage wrought by the September 2017 storm. On Thursday, less than 12 hours after the island’s largest public protest in years, the shoes became part of a far-flung effort to forge a sustainable protest movement to turn Rosselló out of office.

The spark was the leak of hundreds of pages of online chats of the governor and his aides slinging vulgar jokes and insults about women, gays and even the dead from Hurricane Maria. But the kindling for this week’s two large protests against Rosselló, participants say, was years of mismanagement, corruption and cutbacks, including the closure of hundreds of schools and the collapse of the electric grid after Maria.

“Rosselló represents something, a corrupt system. A system that laughs at the living, that laughs at the dead,” said Kique Cubera Garcia, a 41-year-old documentary maker who was helping lay out shoes. “Ricardo Rosselló is the straw that broke the camel’s back. We’re going to throw him out.”

Despite that assurance from Cubera and many other furious Puerto Ricans, it remained far from certain that the anti-Rosselló forces would be able to forge a strong and long-lasting movement able to force the 40-year-old governor from power. Rosselló’s pro-statehood party holds both houses of the territory’s legislature and officials have said they do not intend to start impeachment proceedings for now.

“I’m committed, more strongly than ever, to move ahead with the public policies that we’ve worked for so hard in all areas of the government,” Rosselló said in a written statement Thursday morning. “I strongly believe that it’s possible to restore confidence and that we’ll be able to reconcile after this painful and sad process.”

Meanwhile, President Donald Trump weighed in on the upheaval in Puerto Rico, tweeted harsh words for the territory’s leadership a day after tens of thousands protested against the governor. Trump focused more on one of Rosselló’s main antagonists than the governor himself, however.

“A lot of bad things are happening in Puerto Rico,” Trump tweeted, adding that “The Governor is under siege” and deriding San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz, a frequent critic of both the president and Rosselló, as “a despicable and incompetent person who I wouldn’t trust under any circumstance.”

He alleged that much of relief funding approved by Congress after 2017’s devastating Hurricane Maria “was squandered away or wasted, never to be seen again,” and said “much of (Puerto Rico’s) leadership is corrupt, & robbing the U.S. Government blind!”

The mayor responded on Facebook, saying “I understand you are unwilling and unable to understand DIGNITY when it hits you straight on. I also understand you cannot condemn corrupt, misogynistic, homophobic, and abusive behaviour. After all, if you did, you would be passing judgement (sic) on yourself.”

The U.S. island is struggling to emerge from a debt-driven financial failure and a recession that’s over a decade old. It also seeks more federal aid to recover from Maria, which devastated Puerto Rico’s electrical grid and from a months-long failure to provide care to the elderly and medically vulnerable.

Some of Puerto Rico’s best-known celebrities — performers Ricky Martin, Residente and Bad Bunny — joined Wednesday’s march through San Juan, some waving Puerto Rican flags printed in black and gray instead of the usual red, white and blue to express their discontent.

Prominent Puerto Ricans on the U.S. mainland such as Lin-Manuel Miranda of “Hamilton” fame and Boston Red Sox manager Alex Cora joined the chorus of voices calling call for resignation.

Smaller protests have taken place around the island, with some Puerto Ricans taking down portraits of Rosselló from government offices.

“The country is starting to make its voice heard in new ways,” said artists Gloribel Delgado Esquilin, who was helping lay shoes on the Old San Juan plaza. “There’s no way of predicting what’s going to happen here.”

There were more menacing signs of unrest, as well: Puerto Rico’s police department said dozens of pistols and rifles were stolen from a police station in the town of Guayama Wednesday night.

Police Commissioner Henry Escalera Rivera said officers found that a storage room lock was forced 30 pistols, 18 rifles, and 4,000 rounds of ammunition were taken.

Escalera said a message threatening Gov. Ricardo Rosselló was found on a wall of the storage room.

The island’s largest public employees’ unions called for a third march on Friday evening from Old San Juan’s cruise-ship piers to the governor’s residence, saying they, too, are a confident that a new governor is only a matter of time.

“He will have to leave because the protests will just keep growing,” said Angel Figueroa Jaramillo, head of the union representing many of the employees of the island’s public power authority. Rosselló has proposed privatizing the authority, which collapsed in the storm due to decades of poor maintenance and neglect.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

A recent investigation by the RCMP Central Alberta District Crime Reduction Unit led to the arrests of 24 people. (Contributed photo)
24 people arrested following RCMP investigation in central Alberta

Twenty-four people are facing a combined 235 charges following an investigation by… Continue reading

Alberta’s Chief Medicial Officer of Health Dr. Deena Hinshaw said the 500 deaths from COVID-19 in the province are a tragice milestone. (Photo by Chris Schwarz/Government of Alberta)
Alberta hits ‘tragic milestone’ with more COVID-19 deaths

Province up to 500 COVID-19 deaths, adds 1,265 cases

Photo from Town of Sylvan Lake Facebook page
Sylvan Lake communities band together on development plan

Sylvan Lake Intermunicipal Development Plan expected to be approved next spring

Tribe restaurant owner Paul Harris, left, consults with manager Brandon Bouchard about how to proceed under pandemic rules that make it hard for eateries to be profitable. (Contributed photo).
New pandemic rules deemed workable for Red Deer retailers

Stricter COVID-19 reduction measures introduced in lead-up to Christmas

Quentin Lee Strawberry
Man accused in 2019 Red Deer murder will stay behind bars

Quentin Strawberry going to trial next year on second-degree murder charge

FILE - In this Dec. 10, 2015 file photo, actor John Boyega, right, pose with Star Wars characters during the Japan Premiere of their latest film "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" in Tokyo. Boyega stars in Steve McQueen’s “Red White and Blue,” the third film in the director’s anthology of West Indian life in London from the ‘60s through the ’80s. The five-film series will debut Dec. 4. (AP Photo/Koji Sasahara, File)
John Boyega isn’t going to ‘take the money and shush’

John Boyega isn’t going to ‘take the money and shush’

The Hockley Motel in Mono, Ont., is shown in this undated handout photo. An Ontario motel that served as a backdrop for the beloved CBC sitcom "Schitt's Creek" is up for sale. The Hockley Motel in Mono, about an hour's drive northwest of Toronto, was listed for $2 million today. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO - Colliers International
Calling all eccentric millionaires: ‘Schitt’s Creek’ motel up for sale for $2 million

Calling all eccentric millionaires: ‘Schitt’s Creek’ motel up for sale for $2 million

RCMP Cpl. Joanie Sidhu speaks about a seizure of illegal drugs, cash and a firearm during a news conference in Surrey, B.C., on Thursday, Sept. 3, 2020. The B.C. Coroners Service says its latest data on illicit drug toxicity deaths show five people are dying every day in the province. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Five people dying every day from toxic illicit drugs in B.C.: Coroner

Five people dying every day from toxic illicit drugs in B.C.: Coroner

(File photo)
Alberta woman charged after allegedly hitting boy with watermelon at B.C. campsite

Police say a disagreement among friends at an Adams Lake campsite turned ugly

Heidi Illingworth, federal ombudsman for victims of crime, takes part in an interview at her office in Ottawa on January 10, 2019. Canada's watchdog for crime victims is calling on Parliament to overhaul the victims' bill of rights, saying the five-year-old legislation has fallen "far short" of delivering on its promise. Federal ombudsman Heidi Illingworth says in a report that rules meant to amplify victims' voices in the justice system have failed to make them heard following "sporadic" implementation of a regime that needs more teeth, clarity and public awareness. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Federal watchdog says victims-rights regime needs overhaul after falling ‘far short’

Federal watchdog says victims-rights regime needs overhaul after falling ‘far short’

Minister of Families, Children and Social Development Ahmed Hussen takes part in a press conference in Ottawa on Tuesday, Oct. 27, 2020. His department would likely take the lead in creating a federally funded child-care system. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Liberals to unveil first step on child-care plan in economic update, sources say

Liberals to unveil first step on child-care plan in economic update, sources say

Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Marco Mendicino holds a press conference in Ottawa on Thursday, Nov. 12, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Around 1,300 national exemptions to COVID-19 border restrictions given out: officials

Around 1,300 national exemptions to COVID-19 border restrictions given out: officials

Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet asks a question during question period in the House of Commons on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2020. Blanchet is blasting the prime minister's response to the pandemic, saying Justin Trudeau's pledge that vaccines will start to arrive in the coming months is 'unacceptable.' THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Canada can make vaccines, just not the ones leading the COVID-19 race

Canada can make vaccines, just not the ones leading the COVID-19 race

Most Read