Quebec suspends controversial immigration reform for foreign students, workers

Quebec suspends controversial immigration reform for foreign students, workers

QUEBEC — The Quebec government is ending a nightmarish week by suspending its proposed changes to a popular fast-track immigration program for foreign students and workers.

Premier Francois Legault fully backtracked Friday by pulling the modifications his immigration minister had made to the Quebec experience program, after furious criticism from across the province, including from the business and university sectors.

In place since 2010, the program allows foreign students with a qualifying diploma or people with work experience in Quebec to receive an expedited selection certificate, fast-tracking residency and making it possible to stay in the province.

In 2018, there were 11,000 people admitted under the program.

At the beginning of the week, hundreds of foreign students and workers learned they could have found themselves forced to leave Quebec after Immigration Minister Simon Jolin-Barrette tightened the rules.

Whereas all programs were admissible in the past, the new rules would only include specific university and technical junior college programs in industries the government said were facing labour shortages.

That decision united all three opposition parties against the government and ignited a wave of criticism from across the province.

After teary pleas at the legislature from some of the students affected by the decision, Jolin-Barrette announced Wednesday that he would allow students already enrolled in the program to complete it under the old rules. But the changes would remain for new entrants.

Influential members of the business and university sectors continued to pester the premier about the issue Thursday. Legault pointed to the positive reviews his government’s plan received on his Facebook page as justification for the changes. He was ridiculed widely on social media for the comment.

On Friday night, Jolin-Barrette wrote on his Facebook page how “over the past few days, various economic and education stakeholders have raised questions” about the changes.

“To reassure all these stakeholders, the Government of Quebec announces the temporary suspension of modifications to the Quebec Experience Program.”

He said he would collaborate with stakeholders to come up with another series of proposals.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published on Nov. 8, 2019.

The Canadian Press

Quebec immigration

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Canadian drivers may not be as courteous as they thing, says a new survey.
Black Press file photo
83% of Alberta drivers admit to speeding: survey

97% of drivers admit to aggressive or road rage-like behaviour

Council approved a $3 million grant and a $19 million loan Tuesday to help keep Westerner Park sustainable. (Advocate file photo)
Red Deer city council approves $22M to keep Westerner Park viable after emotional debate

It’s vital ensure future success for the huge economic generator, says mayor

Red Deer Rebels goalie Chase Coward tries to find a loose puck during WHL action at the Centrium earlier this season. (Photo by ROB WALLATOR/Red Deer Rebels)
Changes on the horizon for Red Deer Rebels next season

New coach, roster adjustments among top priorities for Sutter this offseason

Renovations and construction have begun at Red Deer Dream Centre. (Photo contributed)
Renovations underway at Red Deer Dream Centre

Christian-based addictions treatment centre

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
Here is a list of latest COVID-19 restrictions in effect in Alberta

New mandatory health restrictions are now in effect in Alberta. Additional restrictions… Continue reading

An Empire Day/Victoria Day gathering of school children on Ross Street by the Cenotaph in the 1920s. On the right hand side, are members of the Red Deer Citizens Band (forerunner of the Red Deer Royals). (Photo via Red Deer Archives)
Victoria Day event helped after war

One hundred years ago, on May 24, 1921, a major community event… Continue reading

Gwynne Dyer
Gwynne Dyer: Independence is a one-way gate

Nicola Sturgeon, First Minister of Scotland declared in 2014 that the referendum… Continue reading

Boston Bruins left wing Nick Ritchie (21) and Washington Capitals defenseman Brenden Dillon (4) battle for the puck during the first period of an NHL hockey game, Tuesday, May 11, 2021, in Washington. (AP Photo/Nick Wass)
Raffl’s late goal pushes Capitals past Bruins, 2-1

Raffl’s late goal pushes Capitals past Bruins, 2-1

Chicago Blackhawks left wing Alex DeBrincat (12) celebrates with teammates after scoring a goal during the second period of an NHL hockey game against the Florida Panthers in Chicago, Saturday, May 1, 2021. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)
Toews’ question chases Chicago Blackhawks into offseason

Toews’ question chases Chicago Blackhawks into offseason

Wheeler has two goals, two assists as Winnipeg Jets clinch third in North Division

Wheeler has two goals, two assists as Winnipeg Jets clinch third in North Division

Depleted Raptors drop a 115-96 decision to Leonard and Clippers

Depleted Raptors drop a 115-96 decision to Leonard and Clippers

Denis Shapovalov, of Canada, tosses the ball for a serve to Ilya Ivashka, of Belarus, during the Miami Open tennis tournament Saturday, March 27, 2021, in Miami Gardens, Fla. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP/Wilfredo Lee
Canadian Felix Auger-Aliassime upsets Diego Schwartzman at Italian Open

Canadian Felix Auger-Aliassime upsets Diego Schwartzman at Italian Open

Philadelphia Flyers' James van Riemsdyk (25) and Sean Couturier (14) celebrate past New Jersey Devils' Yegor Sharangovich (17) after a goal by van Riemsdyk during the third period of an NHL hockey game, Monday, May 10, 2021, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum)
Flyers drop from trendy East favorite to another lost season

Flyers drop from trendy East favorite to another lost season

Most Read