Quebecers urged to stay alert as more than 2,800 homes flooded across province
MONTREAL — Warm temperatures and melting snow continued to threaten homes and businesses across Quebec Tuesday, forcing flood-weary Quebecers to remain on alert.
About 2,800 homes had been struck by flooding as of Tuesday afternoon, according to Public Security officials. Urgence Quebec said more than 1,400 people have been forced out of their homes across the province and some 2,100 properties remain isolated because of washed out roads or landslides.
Authorities said they expected water levels to peak by Wednesday. But flooding risks remain high across southern Quebec, particularly the corridor between the Outaouais area west of Montreal and the Beauce region south of Quebec City.
Public Security Minister Genevieve Guilbault visited Sainte-Marie, Que, in the Beauce area, and met with several mayors of towns affected by the overflowing Chaudiere River.
Several hundred people left their homes in that town and nearly 1,000 residences and commercial buildings were flooded. Last week, Beauceville, just down river, saw its downtown core overrun with water, hitting 230 homes and businesses.
“As you can see, the downtown of Sainte-Marie was badly hit by flooding in the last few days, as well as the Beauce region in general,” Guilbault said. “It’s a very sad situation and our thoughts are with citizens who’ve been affected or will be in the coming days.”
About 350 kilometres west of Sainte-Marie, right by the border with Ontario, the mayor of Rigaud said he’s warning residents to be prepared to play the long game.