Rancour grows over Indigenous clam licence:’This is anything but reconciliation’

HALIFAX — A backlash is growing against a multimillion-dollar federal bid to promote reconciliation and economic development among Indigenous groups in Atlantic Canada and Quebec.

A group that represents 13 Mi’kmaq First Nations in Nova Scotia issued a statement Friday saying it is joining politicians in Newfoundland and Labrador to demand Ottawa reverse its recent decision to award a lucrative Arctic surf clam fishing licence to a company based in Cape Breton that claims to have Indigenous partners in all five provinces.

The Assembly of Nova Scotia Mi’kmaq Chiefs is calling for a review of the Feb. 21 decision, saying it can find no evidence that the company has any Indigenous partners in Nova Scotia.

“We have serious questions about the integrity and fairness of the process,” assembly co-chairman Terrance Paul said in a statement.

In St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador Fisheries Minister Gerry Byrne made a similar allegation about phantom First Nations.

He said the Five Nations Clam Company, a new entity that will work with the Premium Seafoods Group in Arichat, N.S., does not appear to have any Indigenous partners from Newfoundland and Labrador, despite a winning proposal that claims otherwise.

“This was supposed to be about creating greater opportunities through a transparent process for Indigenous communities,” Byrne said in an interview Friday, adding that his officials have contacted all of the Indigenous groups in the province.

“What we know to be true is that this is anything but reconciliation. This has pitted province against province, community against community, and First Nation against First Nation.”

Byrne said Innu leaders in Labrador have told him they were approached about forming a partnership with Five Nations after federal Fisheries Minister Dominic LeBlanc awarded the licence last week.

A spokesman for LeBlanc said he was not available for an interview. Instead, the department issued a statement that did not address any of the concerns raised by Byrne or Paul.

The CEO of Premium Seafoods, Edgar Samson, declined to comment when reached by phone Friday. He directed all calls to his business partner, Arren Sock, chief of the Elsipogtog First Nation on New Brunswick’s east coast. Sock did not respond to a message left at the band office.

When the deal was announced, Sock said there was an agreement in principle among five First Nations. He declined to name them, but he said they included two Innu communities, from Quebec and Labrador, and two Mi’kmaq bands from Prince Edward Island and Cape Breton.

Under the application process, which started Sept. 7, 2017, applicants were required to be majority owned by Canadians, and “be an Indigenous entity located in one of the four Atlantic provinces or Quebec.”

When LeBlanc awarded the licence to Five Nations, he made it clear Indigenous groups from all five provinces would be taking part in the Arctic surf clam fishery, which generated $90 million in sales in 2016 and mainly supplies the Asian sushi and sashimi market.

“The inclusion of participants from each Atlantic province and Quebec will allow the benefits of this lucrative fishery to flow to a broad group of First Nations,” he said at the time. “This is a powerful step toward reconciliation.”

Eight groups competed for the licence, including the Qalipu First Nation in Newfoundland.

The fishing grounds for Arctic surf clams are located mainly off Nova Scotia and eastern Newfoundland. The current catch-limit is about 38,000 tonnes.

LeBlanc’s decision ended a monopoly for Halifax-based industry giant Clearwater Seafoods Inc., which supports the initiative but is also calling for a review.

“It raises some serious questions about the integrity of the process,” said company spokeswoman Christine Penney.

Clearwater, which must give up a quarter of the allowable catch, had submitted a proposal that included a partnership with the Assembly of Nova Scotia Mi’kmaq Chiefs.

The decision has spurred anger in Grand Bank, N.L., population 2,200, which has been home to Clearwater’s main, year-round clam processing facility for 27 years. A separate plant in Glace Bay, N.S., also sorts and packages some product. The two operations employ 452 people.

The company developed the industry over 30 years, designing special factory-freezer ships to get the job done. The company’s three vessels are the only ones of their kind in the world, Penney said.

“We spent many unprofitable years figuring out how to harvest this clam,” Penney said.

Just Posted

Updated: 18-year-old killed in rollover near Rimbey

Hwy 53 down to one lane at collision scene

Decision next month in drunk driving causing death trial

Bobbi Crotty trial on four impaired charges wrapped on Tuesday

Cannabis public hearing set for Ponoka

Ponoka proposing 100-metre setbacks from retail stores to sensitive-use areas

Is the fate of Red Deer’s Parsons House solely in the hands of the province?

Demolition of old police station next door to begin this fall

Fundraiser to help keep kids warm in Blackfalds

Community Warmth Fall Fundraiser

WATCH: Red Deer students take part in annual run

Dawe/St. Pat’s Run reaches 40th anniversary

Florence death toll climbs to 37; Trump visits stricken area

WILMINGTON, N.C. — The death toll from Hurricane Florence climbed to at… Continue reading

Toronto election proceeding with 25 wards after court sides with province

TORONTO — Ontario’s top court has sided with the provincial government in… Continue reading

Scheer welcomes former Liberal MP Alleslev to Conservative caucus

OTTAWA — Andrew Scheer is trying to fire up his Conservative troops… Continue reading

Trudeau says Canada wants to see ‘movement’ before signing revised NAFTA deal

WASHINGTON — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau signalled today that Canada wants more… Continue reading

Uber driver suing Bucs’ QB Winston over groping incident

PHOENIX — A female Uber driver in Arizona is suing Tampa Bay… Continue reading

Thousands of fans request grand jury probe of Prince’s death

MINNEAPOLIS — Thousands of Prince fans are asking federal authorities to open… Continue reading

Man pleads guilty to ‘Field of Dreams’ site vandalism

DUBUQUE, Iowa — A man accused of driving onto and damaging the… Continue reading

Rafael Nadal to skip tournaments in Asia because of bad knee

MADRID — Rafael Nadal says he will not play in upcoming tournaments… Continue reading

Most Read