It’s again time to recognize Red Deer’s “most extraordinary citizens.”
Whether somebody excels at athletics or the performing arts, or is a valued community builder, the City of Red Deer wants to hear about it.
The city is opening nominations for the 2020 Mayor’s Recognition Awards, which honour individuals, groups and teams who have made a special contribution, bringing honour and recognition to Red Deer.
These awards are a way of acknowledging and congratulating citizens for their accomplishments, said deputy city clerk Samantha Rodwell.
Candidates can be nominated in five categories:
* Athletics (an individual or team placing first in a national event or first, second or third in an international competition);
* Distinguished voluntary service (individuals who have enhanced the quality of life and/or implemented a significant positive change);
* Fine and performing arts (an individual or group who has gained national or international acceptance or recognition of outstanding achievement in one or more of the arts. Recognition can be for a specific achievement or series of accomplishments);
* Community building (individuals or groups who have had strong community impact through leadership, dedication, innovation and creativity);
* And the mayor’s special award (the highest recognition from the city for humanitarianism and/or exceptional achievement, or heroism. Posthumous nominations are allowed in this category only, and it’s not necessarily awarded every year).
The nomination deadline is Monday, March 9, at 9 a.m.
To learn more about this awards program, or to print a nomination form, visit www.reddeer.ca/MRA or call 403-342-8289.