Red Deer County supports STARS

STARS life-saving flights important to rural communities

STARS air ambulance is a life saver, especially for rural Albertans far from other help.

In recognition of the importance of STARS life-saving flights, Red Deer County agreed on Tuesday to a request for a $2-per-capita donation, which works out to $36,700.

Mayor Jim Wood said STARS is important to the agricultural community.

“When we have something go wrong it’s usually pretty serious,” said Wood.

“I look at this as something that is totally needed.”

STARS Foundation senior municipal relations liaison Glenda Farnden said fundraising is critical to provide the STARS service. Donations account for 79 per cent of STARS’ $38.6-million annual budget. The government covers the remaining 21 per cent or $7 million.

The organization’s biggest fundraiser is its annual STARS home lottery, which is the only fundraiser of its kind in Canada to sell out for the last 23 years. It raised just under $12 million last year.

To provide an ongoing source of funding, STARS has been encouraging rural municipalities to provide per capita funding. Including Red Deer County, 55 of Alberta’s 64 rural municipalities have now pledged their support.

Ten of 14 Central Alberta rural municipalities support STARS.

Farnden said STARS is also approaching urban municipalities for support. Having unanimous rural support will give the charitable organization a stronger voice when it seeks other funding, she said.

In Red Deer County, STARS flies an average of 74 missions a year, which costs about $400,000.

Across the province, just over half of STARS missions involve medical emergencies. Motor vehicle collisions represent 20 per cent of missions, trauma-related incidents 15 per cent and recreational incidents 10 per cent. Industry at two per cent and agricultural at one per cent round out the breakdown.

Farnden said the slumping oil economy has seen donations drop off from that sector. However, demand for STARS has continued to grow with the number of calls up nine per cent last year to more than 1,800 missions.

Just Posted

Art Battle Red Deer to support of Women of Excellence Awards

Art Battle Red Deer will be April 6 at the Radisson Hotel

Eliminating racial discrimination events in Red Deer this week

Two upcoming events aim to inspire change and eliminate racial discrimination in… Continue reading

Outfitter facing Wildlife Act charges

It is alleged archery-only hunting licences used out of season

Sunnybrook pies in demand

Just in time for Easter

Red Deer’s Chopped Canada winner takes break from restaurant business

Pete Sok closes Sophear, but plans to eventually relocate

WATCH: Red Deerians can have a say about crime fighting

Municipality will poll citizens about policing priorities

21-year-old charged with drug trafficking in Rocky Mountain House

RCMP seized drugs after conducting a traffic stop and charged a 21-year-old… Continue reading

Liberal bill would tighten controls on sale, licensing of firearms

OTTAWA — Gun retailers would be required to keep records of firearms… Continue reading

Alberta factoring in Trans Mountain pipeline in budget forecasts

EDMONTON — Finance Minister Joe Ceci says Alberta will rely on anticipated… Continue reading

Pooches and pickup truck stolen in Edmonton found in Rimbey

Two old English bulldogs named Rocky and Jersey who were in a… Continue reading

Statistics Canada reports wholesale sales up 0.1 per cent in January

OTTAWA — Statistics Canada says wholesale sales rose 0.1 per cent to… Continue reading

Right whale deaths cost Gulf snow crab fishery its designation as sustainable

HALIFAX — An international organization has suspended a sustainability certificate for the… Continue reading

Financial watchdog says controls to mitigate sales risk at banks ‘insufficient’

TORONTO — Canada’s financial consumer watchdog says there are “insufficient” controls in… Continue reading

Sheriff official: 3 injured in Maryland high school shooting

GREAT MILLS, Md. — A shooting at a Maryland high school Tuesday… Continue reading

Most Read

Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $185 for 260 issues (must live in delivery area to qualify) Unlimited Digital Access 99 cents for the first four weeks and then only $15 per month Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $15 a month