It’s Fire Prevention Week, and Red Deer Emergency Services wants you to keep safety in mind when things are heating up in the kitchen.
Unattended cooking continues to be a leading cause of home fires in Red Deer, and a small fire can get out of control quickly. On average, 20 per cent of all destructive residential fires start in the kitchen.
The city provides tips to help prevent fires in the kitchen:
• Watch what you heat: Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, boiling, grilling, or broiling food. Turn off the burner if you leave the kitchen for any reason.
• Don’t add fuel to the fire: In case of a grease fire, never move the pot or pan. Simply slide a tight-fitting lid over the pot or pan to smother the flames, and then turn off the heat. Never throw water or flour on a grease fire.
• Declutter your cooktop: Keeping cooking areas clear of combustibles such as potholders, dish towels and food packaging can reduce the risk of fire.
• Smoke alarms save lives: Working smoke alarms save lives. Smoke alarms should be installed and maintained on every level of your home.
The city also reminds you to properly dispose of smoking materials, as many fires in Red Deer are caused by improperly disposed of cigarette butts.
Whenever you smoke, use deep, sturdy ashtrays. If ashtrays are not available, use a metal can or pail.
Never empty smoking materials directly into a trashcan, and never throw out cigarettes into vegetation, potted plants or landscaping, as they can easily catch fire.