A house in the north end of Red Deer was heavily damaged by a fire Saturday afternoon.
At 3:14 p.m., the City of Red Deer said Red Deer Emergency Services was on scene at a house fire on Keith Close in the Kentwood neighbourhood.
“They are asking public to avoid the area and leave crews space to work. They expect to be on scene for a few hours,” the city said on Twitter.
Fire crews began wrapping up around 5:30 p.m., the city said in another tweet.
A nearby neighbour said he saw the fire spread quickly.
“I was watching the Blue Jays game, when I started hearing this (whooshing noise),” said the neighbour, who preferred not to be identified.
The neighbour looked out the window and saw flames in the home’s backyard. The fire then spread to the deck and the house, he said.
Multiple neighbours said they heard the fire was caused by a propane tank.
Sylvan Lake Fire and Red Deer County Fire assisted Red Deer Emergency Services at a second structure fire in the city while Red Deer firefighters were tied up at the first incident.
No more information is available at this time.