Red Deer man faces seven years in prison for his role in home invasion

A Red Deer man faces seven years in prison for his role in a February 2014 home invasion.

A Red Deer man faces seven years in prison for his role in a February 2014 home invasion.

Kyle Brice Connon, 27, was handed the sentence in Red Deer provincial court on Wednesday by Judge John Holmes.

He was not believed to have been the mastermind behind the three-person operation in which the occupant of a Riverside Meadows residence was tied up and covered.

Connon previously pleaded guilty to assault with a weapon, forcible confinement, break and enter with intent to commit bodily harm, disguise with intent and personating a peace officer.

The Crown alleges the incident was orchestrated because another man wanted to beat up the victim because the man allegedly beat up the man’s girlfriend.

Court heard that Connon and another male were recruited to assist in the crime, with the prospect of being paid in whatever drugs and money they could steal.

Holmes pointed to Connon’s addiction issues, which he said fueled the crime, as well as his criminal record.

Crown prosecutor Robin Snider asked an eight-year sentence.

But Holmes cited Connon’s early guilty plea and family support as mitigating factors.

On Feb. 17, Connon and two others entered a residence claiming to be police officers. They tied up the victim, masked him and threatened to kill him.

At one point, the victim was struck on the back of the head, bloodying him.

Red Deer RCMP were called to the residence by a basement tenant who heard sounds of a scuffle. When they arrived, they found the front door slightly ajar. Inside, they found a man wearing a balaclava and armed with a pellet gun.

Another man was face down with his feet and hands bound with duct tape and a cloth over his head, also bound with duct tape.

Defence counsel Paul Morigeau said his client was only motivated by the prospect of stealing drugs, or the money to buy drugs, while the mastermind of the operation was motivated by revenge and harming the victim.

Connon was also ordered to provide a sample of his DNA and is prohibited from owning weapons for 10 years.

Also charged in the incident are Michael Wade Lawrence, 39, of Penhold, and Bradley Amos Erickson, 39, of Red Deer. Lawrence, who the Crown alleges is the ring leader, will make his next appearance in Red Deer provincial court on July 30.

mcrawford@bprda.wpengine.com

Just Posted

Optimism remains for Red Deer hospital expansion

Red Deer’s incoming UCP MLAs both have been strong supporters of expansion

Sport of axe throwing growing in Red Deer

True North Axe Throwing wants sport to be ‘Canadian version of darts’

RDC cancels championship-winning golf program due to tight finances

Short season, small number of student golfers were also considerations

Fire investigators comb through industrial fire wreckage looking for answers

Industrial building in north Red Deer was completely gutted in Wednesday morning fire

WATCH: An ‘Eggstemely Fun Easter’ at Bower Place in Red Deer

Bower Place mall made sure Red Deer families were able to have… Continue reading

Dozens hurt in collapse of deck during wedding celebration in Langley, B.C.

LANGLEY, B.C. — Police say dozens of people were injured, some critically,… Continue reading

No winning ticket for Friday night’s $25 million Lotto Max jackpot

TORONTO — No winning ticket was sold for the $25.5 million jackpot… Continue reading

Uber driver charged in two sexual assault investigations: Toronto police

Toronto police say an Uber driver is facing sexual assault charges in… Continue reading

PEI Green party candidate Josh Underhay and son killed in canoeing accident

CHARLOTTETOWN — With only a few days before voters were to go… Continue reading

Egyptians vote on changes that would extend el-Sissi’s rule

CAIRO — Egyptians cast their ballots Saturday on the first of three… Continue reading

Ex-Marine arrested in North Korea embassy attack in Madrid

WASHINGTON — A man suspected of involvement in a mysterious dissident group’s… Continue reading

New bout of heavy fighting in Yemen kills dozens

SANAA, Yemen — Yemeni officials say heavy fighting in Yemen’s southern Dhale… Continue reading

Most Read