A collection of organizations is inviting Red Deerians to celebrate mental health initiatives all month long.
The Canadian Mental Health Association has celebrated Mental Health Week during the first week of May since 1951, but this year, central Albertans can participate in Mental Health for All Month.
This year’s campaign message is, “Get loud about what mental health really is.”
“During community conversations leading up to Mental Health Week, it became apparent that there are so many amazing organizations in central Alberta that all have different roles in contributing to the mental health and wellness of our citizens,” said Christine Stewart, the association’s central Alberta executive director.
“Instead of trying to compete to get our messages heard, we came to the table to find a made-in-Red Deer solution, and Mental Health for All month was created.”
A committee was formed between members of CMHA-Central Alberta Region, Central Alberta Sexual Assault Support Centre, Shalom Counselling Centre, Smiles Thru Lindsey Foundation, Vantage Community Services and the Hub on Ross to host events throughout the month.
- CMHA will host an open house May 8 from 3-5 p.m.;
- The draw for CMHA’s inaugural Win You Way to Wellness raffle is May 10;
- Smiles Thru Lindsey will host a celebrity poker tournament and A Night at the Ranch event on May 10-11;
- Shalom Counselling will host an open house May 23 from 5:30-7:30 p.m.;
- Central Alberta Sexual Assault Support Centre will host Respect Day on May 24 from noon to 3 p.m.;
- Vantage Community Services will host an open house May 29 from 3:30-5:30 p.m.