Red Deer RCMP are aware of at least two separate incidents where fraudsters impersonated business colleagues in an attempt to defraud multiple individuals.
RCMP said in a press release that the email scammer asked for a large number of gift cards, as a favour to the individual sending the email. The email address was found to be fraudulent and not from who it appeared to be sent by.
This scam prompted the RCMP to remind citizens of a few tips to protect from fraud:
· Verify unusual email or phone requests. Ensure the email address is correct and call the individual directly, confirming their identity and the request made in the email.
· Prepaid credit cards, Google Play, Amazon, iTunes and other types of gift cards are commonly used in fraudulent activity. Be wary of any request to procure or to provide payment in this format.
· Be wary of providing any personal information by phone, email or text.
· If something feels off, trust your gut.
· Do not be intimidated by high-pressure tactics.
Police are also asking members of the public to report all fraud attempts, regardless if they are successful or not.