The City of Red Deer will reopen several recreation facilities next week.
After a review of the updated provincial guidelines that were announced Saturday, city officials said Wednesday that a handful of recreation facilities will open for rental use.
On Feb. 16, Collicutt Centre Arena and Activity Rooms, GH Dawe Centre Arena, Servus Arena and Kinex Arena will open for rental use. The following day, Michener Aquatics Centre and Gymnasium will also open.
The facilities will not be open to the general public.
“In recent days, we have been working closely with sport user groups in the community to understand demand for facilities, and to develop plans for a safe return to recreation,” said Barb McKee, recreation superintendent in a press release.
“While Step 1 of the provincial plan does not allow for a full opening of facilities, we are excited to see a return to sport for our community.”
The city said they will be ready to open the facilities more fully as soon as increased use is permitted. Since Stage 1 of the provincial government’s four-stage plan to ease public health restrictions does not allow for general use of facilities, rental use is only allowed at this time.
“Because of that we were able to adapt our operations quickly and respond to the strong demand from the local sport community for the use of facilities. And as soon as increased use is permitted, we will be ready to respond again,” McKee said.
The city is also taking steps to remind user groups to adhere to all public health measures and guidelines, including:
- Participants should arrive fully dressed for activities whenever possible.
- Participant may not arrive until 15 minutes before rental time and leave facility no more than 15 minutes following rental time.
- No shower facilities are available.
- No spectators are permitted. Parents/caregivers may not stay for the activity.
- An adult parent/chaperone/volunteer is permitted for athlete support in change rooms, skate change areas or for washroom access.