Red Deer’s Christmas Light Tour is back — and it’s bigger and brighter than ever.
Jim Elliott and his son A.J. have been scouting for the most spectacular light displays in the city and mapping them so area residents can take self-guided tours.
“We have added a great deal of new content this year,” said Elliott, who’s been creating Christmas light tours in Red Deer since 1972.
At first Elliott used to drive Michener Centre clients around the city during his off-hours from his taxi driver job.
“To see the smiles on their faces when they saw all those sparkling colored Christmas lights, it was a site to behold,” he recalled.
Later, while working with the Red Deer Transit System, Elliott started renting buses from the city. He provided light tours for students of the Aspire Special Needs Resource Centre, as well as women’s shelter clients.
About five years ago, when renting buses became too costly, Elliott and A.J. began creating a map for self-guided tours.
“This year is going to be the best, ever,” he promises. “A.J. has added six new subdivisions and the total time to see it all is well over four hours.”
The tour is broken down into four separate sections so that people can focus on the area they want to see.
Elliott said he’s pleased to give this annual gift to the community: “The city that has been so kind to my family… I have tried to teach my children that giving back to the community that you love is the best thing you can ever do.”
Highlights of 2019 Red Deer Christmas Light Tour:
– Downtown: City Hall and the Park
– Riverside Meadows: 60 Street, 60 Avenue
– Fairview: Fern Road, Freemont Crescent, Fairway Avenue
– Glendale: Gunn Street, 71 Street
– Normandeau: Nyberg Avenue, Noble Avenue, Nordegg Crescent, Norton Ave
– Pines: Pamely Avenue
– Garden Heights: Garrison Circle
– Oriole Park: Oleander Dr, Ohio Cl, Orwell Cl, Oxbow St, Odell Gr, Oates Gr, Oakley Cl
– West Park: Wells St, Wilkins Gr, Wilson Cr, Welton Cr, 35 St, 36 St
– Bower: Baines Crescent, Baird Street, Barrett Drive (south end of the drive)
– Mountview: Spruce Drive (2), 45 Ave, 43 Ave (one south end and other by pharmacy)
– Morrisroe: McConnell Close, Moseley Close, McFarlane Street
– Eastview: Edgington Cl, 35A Ave, Edwards Cr, Excell St, Eline St, Elwell Ave, Ellenwood Dr
– Clearview: Castle Crescent, Cornett Drive
– Rosedale: Russell Crescent, Ramsay Avenue, Robinson Crescent, Rutherford Drive
– Michener: Michener Green, 38A Avenue
– Sunnybrook: Spencer Street, Sherwood Crescent/Stirling Close (Corner)
– Anders: Anders St, Arb Cl, Allan St (2), Anquetel St, Ansett Cr, Alton Cl, Assinger Ave
– Lancaster: Logan Close, Lamont Close, Lister Crescent
– Deer Park: Deschner Close, Dynes Street (2), Dodge Avenue
– Parkland Gardens: Off Highway 11, left side Parkland Garden Center and Ice Sculptures.
red deer city