G.H. Dawe Community Centre will be closed from May 1 to June 25 for construction as part of the ongoing G.H. Dawe Community Centre Project.
The city said that while access has mostly been maintained, work needs to be completed on the fitness room, water park and program spaces. In order to do so safely and efficiently, a full facility closure is needed.
Access to the Dawe branch of the Red Deer Public Library will be maintained throughout construction.
The city anticipates the facility will re-open on June 26, with some exceptions:
• The Fitness Room will not be available. Some larger pieces of existing fitness equipment will be temporarily moved to the “mall area” until the grand opening in 2023. Use of this equipment will require a daily admission or monthly pass.
• Playing surfaces in the arena will not be available until construction is complete, which is expected to be early 2023.
Where possible, programs that typically operate from the Dawe will be accommodated elsewhere. Outdoor fitness classes, aquatic leadership programs, swimming lessons and dryland programming will be partially accommodated at the Recreation Centre, Michener Aquatic Centre, Collicutt Centre, Setters Place and Servus Arena.
People should check program registration for location information.
When the centre fully reopens in early 2023 it will include:
• Two NHL standard ice surfaces.
• Expanded fitness area, with running track and two fitness studios.
• Outdoor spray park with washroom facilities.
• Fully accessible change space and pool deck party room.
• A new washroom in the preschool program room.
• Additional north entrance and site access from 67th Street.
• Additional parking.