(Advocate file photo). (Advocate file photo).

Red Deer’s overdose prevention site can continue to operate until review is finished

Temporary funding extension was granted by government

Red Deer’s overdose prevention site has been granted a funding extension so it can remain running until a provincial study is completed on supervised consumption sites.

Steve Buick, spokesman for Alberta Health, said the city’s overdose prevention site is a special case in the province.

It was meant to operate out of a portable in the Safe Harbour parking lot as a temporary measure, until a permanent supervised consumption site could get off the ground.

But once the United Conservative Party was elected last spring, a hold was placed on all new SCS sites, leaving Red Deer’s facility unable to open. This meant the temporary overdose prevention site continues to run longer than initially intended.

Buick noted the site study results won’t be known until the end of the year, while existing funds for Red Deer’s overdose prevention facility will run out Sept. 30.

The government decided the facility should be allowed to continue operating until study results are known.

Buick said about $800,000 of additional operating funds will be made available to keep the facility running to the end of December, or possibly to the end of March, if the government needs a few more months to make a decision.

He said this shouldn’t be interpreted as a sign of ongoing support — “we are still committed to doing the review, but we did not want to interrupt services while the review was underway.”

Buick added the government continues to be aware of community concerns regarding the overdose prevention site.

“We understand there are a lot of issues, and we are working hard to respond.”

Turning Point operates the overdose prevention site, which is located on Safe Harbour’s property.

Stacey Carmichael, executive director of Turning Point, could not immediately be reached for comment.

But a first-quarter report released by Alberta Health suggested the local site was helping save lives. Central zone had eight overdose deaths, including two in Red Deer, compared to 18 for the same period in 2018.



lmichelin@reddeeradvocate.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Safe Harbour Society

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Gardening for food during COVID-19

“Gardening is easy, and there’s always Google”

WATCH: Update from Prime Minister Trudeau

April 3 briefing from Ottawa

Stettler RCMP locate wanted man

Man wanted on Canada-wide warrant

Alberta Health Services provides COVID-19 prevention tips

Alberta Health Services has a number of recommendations for people amid the… Continue reading

Alberta government website has latest COVID-19 statistics

Red Deer Advocate readers can stay up to date on the COVID-19… Continue reading

Projections show between 3,000 and 15,000 could die from COVID-19 in Ontario

TORONTO — The steps the Ontario government has taken so far to… Continue reading

Hospital parking fees suspended during COVID-19 pandemic

Measure will cost the government $7.6M a month

3M pushes back on Trump administration call to stop sending N95 masks to Canada

3M says it has already been turning out as many of the N95 masks as possible

How well can cell phones carry COVID-19? Disinfecting may be wise

‘You want to keep it as clean as you would normally your hands’

Veteran linebacker Marcus Ball not ready to call it a career just yet

Marcus Ball isn’t finished with football just yet. The veteran linebacker says… Continue reading

Most Read