Residents of a 51st Avenue condo complex did not get the best of sleeps on Saturday night.
Residents were evacuated from the condo building at 3505 51st Ave. around midnight after one of the residents of the 12-suite complex reported an “electrical-like smoke smell” that resulted in high levels of carbon monoxide being detected. Emergency services personnel detected levels between 100 and 400 parts per million, far above normal rates.
No one was hurt relating to the incident, but an infant girl was taken to Red Deer Regional Hospital as a precaution.
Residents were kept in a transit bus while crews worked in the building, and the Red Deer Red Cross coordinated temporary housing while the building was being ventilated.
The cause of the carbon monoxide leak has not been determined.
Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas that can cause serious injury or death if people are exposed to high levels over a long enough period of time.