Saskatoon man guilty of setting up fake fundraiser after Humboldt Broncos crash

Saskatoon man guilty of setting up fake fundraiser after Humboldt Broncos crash

SASKATOON — A Saskatoon man has been convicted of setting up a fake GoFundMe account for the Humboldt Broncos after the junior hockey team’s bus crashed.

A provincial court judge found Andrij Olesiuk guilty of fraud under $5,000 and possession of stolen property obtained by crime.

Court heard that Olesiuk raised $3,600 after the crash, but the money never made it to the Broncos.

Instead, it went to Olesiuk’s personal bank account and he spent it.

The crash at a rural Saskatchewan intersection in April 2018 killed 16 people and injured 13.

A semi truck driver carrying a load of peat moss missed a stop sign and drove into the path of the bus.

“It was an important (case) to prosecute in terms of taking advantage of a horrible tragedy, probably the worst tragedy in Saskatchewan’s history, to benefit yourself from those monies,” Crown prosecutor Darren Howarth said outside court Friday.

“And, of course, Mr. Olesiuk’s statement, his story, is just unbelievable for a large number of reasons. In that respect, I think it was the right decision.”

During his trial, Olesiuk testified that he closed down his account and gave $4,100 in cash to a woman who came by his house collecting money for the Broncos. He also said he lost the receipt for the donation in a house fire.

Howarth noted Olesiuk could remember specific details about the woman he gave the money to, but not the organization she represented.

He also said it didn’t make much sense for someone who seemingly had financial difficulties to have more than $4,000 in cash lying around.

“A lot of Mr. Olesiuk’s stories were just million-to-one unbelievable coincidences. You throw a bunch of those together and it really just becomes impossible to believe,” said Howarth.

Howarth wants the case to send the message that people can be criminally charged if they raise money for GoFundMe and keep it for themselves.

“At the end of the day, we should be able to trust people who are doing these things and raising this money,” Howarth said. “We’d like to trust people in society and we should be able to.”

A legitimate GoFundMe for the Broncos raised more than $15 million.

Olesiuk’s sentencing is set for March 3. (CKOM)

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 17, 2020

The Canadian Press

Humboldt Broncos

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Red Deer RCMP say a 30-year-old man faces sexual charges against a teen. (File photo by Advocate staff)
Innisfail RCMP arrest man following ‘lengthy pursuit’

Innisfail RCMP say a “lengthy pursuit” through a rural area ended with… Continue reading

Red Deer South MLA Jason Stephan speaks in the Alberta Legislature on Wednesday in this image from his Facebook page.
Red Deer MLA Jason Stephan sounds off on socialism in anti-lockdown speech

Red Deer-South MLA Jason Stephan has applauded his government’s COVID-19 response, saying… Continue reading

(Photo by Paul Cowley/ Advocate Staff)
Mask bylaws not popular in rural areas

Red Deer and Blackfalds bylaws requiring masks in public places kick in on Monday

A GoFundMe campaign to support a Stettler couple following a fire has raised more than $3,000. (Contributed photo)
Family pet dies in Stettler fire

GoFundMe page has raised more than $3K so far

Canadian Olympic gymnast and National Sport School alumni Kyle Shewfelt announces his retirement in Calgary, Thursday, May 21, 2009. Calgary's board of education will close the National Sport School that has produced Olympic and Paralympic champions for 26 years. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Calgary’s National Sport School to close, looks to join a different school division

Calgary’s National Sport School to close, looks to join a different school division

Canada's Erica Wiebe, left, celebrates after defeating Nigeria's Blessing Onyebuchi, right on the ground, to win Gold medal in women's FS 76Kg wrestling at the Commonwealth Games on Gold Coast, Australia, Thursday, April 12, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Manish Swarup
Canada’s Olympic champion wrestler Erica Wiebe eyes return to competition

Canada’s Olympic champion wrestler Erica Wiebe eyes return to competition

Louisiana-Lafayette running back Elijah Mitchell (15) is tackled by Coastal Carolina linebacker Enock Makonzo (43) and safety Cameron Mitchell (49) during the first half of an NCAA football game in Lafayette, La., Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2020. It's already been a season to remember but Canadian Enock Makonzo and the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers will chase two more firsts Saturday. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Paul Kieu
Canadian Enock Makonzo, Chanticleers chase Sun Belt East regular-season crown

Canadian Enock Makonzo, Chanticleers chase Sun Belt East regular-season crown

Atlanta United's Mo Adams, right, challenges Toronto FC's Alejandro Pozuelo during first half MLS soccer action in East Hartford, Conn., Sunday, Oct. 18, 2020. Toronto FC's Alejandro Pozuelo says he finished the season with an injured leg. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Jessica Hill
Toronto FC ready to refocus on future as long, hard season comes to an end

Toronto FC ready to refocus on future as long, hard season comes to an end

Federal Health Minister Patty Hajdu and Vancouver Mayor Kennedy Stewart speak to the media during a visit to the Molson Overdose Prevention Site in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside, Thursday, January 16, 2020. City councillors in Vancouver voted unanimously this week to ask federal officials for an exemption to Canada's Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, a decision advocates hope will blaze a trail for the decriminalization of small amounts of illicit drugs for personal use in other municipalities. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Advocates aim to shape ‘Vancouver model’ for drug decriminalization

Advocates aim to shape ‘Vancouver model’ for drug decriminalization

Senator Murray Sinclair appears before the Senate Committee on Aboriginal Peoples in Ottawa, Tuesday, May 28, 2019. Sinclair is planning to leave the Senate early next year. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Fred Chartrand
Sen. Murray Sinclair, former head of TRC, set to leave the upper chamber next January

Sen. Murray Sinclair, former head of TRC, set to leave the upper chamber next January

Carolina De La Torre, right, owner of Arepas Ranch in Calgary, poses for a photo with her husband in this undated handout photo. The Venezuelan woman who believes she was used as part of Jason Kenney's argument not to lockdown restaurants in the province remembers her encounter with the premier as a lot less dramatic than he suggested. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO, Carolina De La Torre *MANDATORY CREDIT*
‘No crying’: Venezuelan refugee Kenney cited says interaction was less dramatic

‘No crying’: Venezuelan refugee Kenney cited says interaction was less dramatic

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau listens to a question from a reporter during a bi-weekly news conference outside Rideau cottage in Ottawa, Friday, Nov. 27, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Trudeau feels most Canadians could be vaccinated by September 2021

Trudeau feels most Canadians could be vaccinated by September 2021

Most Read